Type 1 Starting the gym first time

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Done a bit of research on starting the gym being a type 1 diabetic newly diagnosed 13/10/17 most advice seems to point at safest way to go about it is going first thing on an empty stomach why still in fasting mode just wondering if anyone on ere as tried and tested it
This is advice I’ve read on numerous sights
I’ve copy and pasted it below

When you wake up, your body is in a fasted-state because you haven’t eaten for nearly 8 hours. This means your body is burning body fat for fuel, not glucose. If you were to step on a treadmill, without having consumed any calories (some can get away with black coffee), your body will continue to burn body fat for fuel—not glucose in your bloodstream—thus not causing your blood sugar to drop.

Alternatively, the moment you eat (even the cream in your coffee contains enough calories to trigger the switch), your body will begin to burn glucose primarily for fuel and your blood sugar will drop when you exercise unless other precautions with insulin and carbohydrate doses are taken.

This can be applied to cardio, yoga, strength-training, etc. Keep in mind that for many, a truly anaerobic strength-training workout can actually raise blood sugar, so you might actually need a dose of insulin if you find that fasted strength-training raises your blood sugar slightly in the morning. This isn’t a bad thing! It’s simply normal human physiology breaking down glycogen in your muscles, converting it to glucose and cycling it back to your muscles for fuel during your strength-training workout.

D

Deleted Account

Interesting.
I exercise a lot and some of this is at the gym. I have tried different times of the day with different timings regarding food.
For me, I find exercising in the morning before breakfast does not work - it always increases my BG.

I would be interested to read your experience.

Whenever you do it, as you are starting out I would suggest you "take it easy" until you know how your body reacts.
In general, cardio decreases BG and weights increase BG.
But both may result in lower BG for the next 24 hours so I recommend plenty of testing.

Reactions: Sobo82

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Interesting.
I exercise a lot and some of this is at the gym. I have tried different times of the day with different timings regarding food.
For me, I find exercising in the morning before breakfast does not work - it always increases my BG.

I would be interested to read your experience.

Whenever you do it, as you are starting out I would suggest you "take it easy" until you know how your body reacts.
In general, cardio decreases BG and weights increase BG.
But both may result in lower BG for the next 24 hours so I recommend plenty of testing.

Thank you for the reply/advice
So with you saying exercising in the morning before food raises your BG levels so maybe i might try that way first and see what it rises to and take insulin for that rise as it does state that in many threads I’ve read considering that my body reacts the same way only time will tell I go for my induction on Friday then hoping kick on next week
Thanks again

Reactions: Kim Possible