starving yourself is like hating yourself

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't follow any regime, i simply eat when i'm hungry. My body dictates the length of fast. Some days i eat twice, some only once. And on one particular occasion, in hospital with nothing low carb available, i only ate twice in 4 days, never felt hungry, and every glucose test was 5.1 - 5.3.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @ajbod. It says you are on tablets - could they be aiding your easy fasting by acting as an appetite suppressant?

I do like to say, we would be a very odd mammal indeed if we did not experience hunger, and even -keenly! A species wondering around experiencing sometimes accidental unnoticed fasting, and therefore - easy malnutrition - would not last long on this planet. Just saying!

We people with diabetes though, do have in the form of meds - a way to soften the edges of hunger. Ask the non-diabetic folks putting ozempic in the hard to get category!

And of course - managed fasting via discipline, self-control etc etc. The carrot of improved blood glucose regulation if not health.

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only take metformin, the doctor felt it was worth staying on a low dose purely to aid circulation. I only suffer regular hunger when things slip and i eat more carbs than normal. Even then it's more craving than hunger pangs.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi @ajbod. As well as for your circulation, your medical professionals may have kept you on metformin for its appetite suppessing action? (I see from earlier postings that you first came into the Forum when you were dieting for weight loss for better health and a just in the diabetes range HBA1c in your neck of the woods - it would be prediabetes in mine.) Would be interesting if you go off the met, because then you would be officially in remission, which is a wonderful type of diabetes to be! And you are now out of the prediabetes range too, I see. And had significant weight loss?

I understand the cravings - who doesn't have those other than very rare bods? There is so much seriously attactive high carb/fattening food out there, and some of us are probably sugar addicts (which is how i see myself). I know I deliberately avoid the lolly ailse in supermarkets - much easier not to see it! And get any sweetness-joy from the health food ailses where my stevia sweetened or dried berry products lie... (the best no sugar sweetness being from my own kitchen).

Anyway. Will be interesting to follow your meds/no meds path, if you go off metformin one day. To be healthy hormone regulated I would say hunger is natural and desired! But easier to eat less or in an eating window, than you might otherwise with a wee appetite suppressant? I find this myself, and will be interested when I next experiment with just how much metformin has been helping me not eat after nightfall.... (I'm going to wait till summer to find out!)

ajbod

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I dieted for weight loss before i was diagnosed prediabetic, shortly after increasing carbs, to stabilise my weight. This is why i'm sure i was diabetic long before my diagnosis, as the prediabetic Hba1c contained at least 2 months of strict Keto, and the rest about 50 - 60 grams a day. And i'd been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy in my legs 4 years previous. And suffered carb comas, and funny turns, what i now recognise to be hyper glucose levels, the dotors never even tested. Subsequently i'm convinced my 2 strokes, were caused by diabetes, as they couldn't find any reason for them, The first when i was supposedly prediabetic, the second on the day of my first DN appointment, which they didn't seem to think was a good enough excuse for missing it. I have also had a femoral artery bypass done, and that was the reason the doctor said i might as well continue with the minimal dose of metformin. Being officially in remission is of no concern to me, all that matters is as good control of my blood sugar levels as i can manage for as long as possible.
as for the cravings it's my wifes fault, she keeps bringing all sorts home from work, she's a coffee shop manager for Marks and Spencer. I swear she's trying to do me in. It took her 2 years to actually believe that i had diabetes.