Statin

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
When I was diagnosed with diabetes they put me on statins straight away. Unsure what they were I did my research and decided not to take them.

9 months later and after many DN visits they never once brought up statins.

Did they say why you were prescribed them at diagnosis? Provide results to back the decision?

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was originally prescribed statins at a hospital diabetic clinic, I was told that they were likely to raise my BS but that as I was already on insulin as a type 1 that didn't matter. I might have to take more insulin, that was all. That was in 2000 or 2001. The fact that statins raise blood sugar levels is well-known, though not always to GPs. I don't believe changing from one statin to another is likely to make any difference.
( I took statins for about 2 and a half to three years until I was made redundant, as they had destroyed my short-term memory. I was a senior computer programmer. It took several years for my thinking processes and memory to recover, but my husband said he could tell that the real 'me' was back within a fortnight. It evidently affected my personality too. He said we could have ended up in the divorce court.)

Reactions: gedtop1

gedtop1

I was diagnosed type 2 in May this year and automatically put on Metformin and Statins The Metformin took it for 2 weeks they nearly killed me with side effects ( Diarrhoea ) as it aggravated my diverticulitis which caused me a hell of a lot of pain,
I researched the statins and could find no good reason to take them as they could do more harm the good.
Went back to gp and told him I was not taking either medication and I would control the T2 and Cholesterol with diet to which he said was Fine ( would have been nice to be given the choice in the first place ). Followed a low carb/keto diet and am now 1 and a half stone lighter my sugar levels are normal to pre and cholesterol is all good. GP's are not Gods and they are all singing from the same hymn sheet ( Guidelines ) and are not willing to think outside the box...Most anyway.

Reactions: Bluetit1802