1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

STATINS. Anyone found a good one?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Fairygodmother, May 22, 2018.

1. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If he’s sitting on the results, and his research was industry sponsored . . . Nuff said.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

When first diagnosed with diabetes I was offered stations by my GO when I politely refused the only thing that he said was that not everyone gets side effects !Never been mentioned since
    Carol

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tabby07

Tabby07 Type 2 · Newbie

I was given Simvastatin and then Atorvastatin both made me feel ill with flu like aches and pains so I stopped taking them. I mentioned this to my cardiologist who said that as a diabetic I should take one and recommended Rosuvastatin 5mg. My GP keeps trying to put me back onto the others no doubt due to the cast. Anyway, I do not have any side effects sp I’ll keep taking them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. david1241

david1241 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello I've always refused to take statins .A few years ago i had a phone call from the doctors .telling me they were putting on a statin .I'd had a routine blood test a few days previous .I said is my cholesterol high she it is a bit .Then she told me i would suffer from aches pains ,and i would have to have liver function test test. i said i get enough aches and pains without taking statins.No thank you. Later on i went to see the doctor . My cholesterol reading from the hospital was 6.3 In the meantime i bought an Accutrend GC meter I tested my blood the reading was 6.3 the same as the hospital result.I told the doctor i was not going to take statins ,no chance.i started taking Benocol yogurts .After a few weeks my cholesterol dropped down to 5.3 In 2016 the last time i saw a doctor .She got really nasty when i refused to take statins.I told her i would sort my own medical problems out where possible. I've never been back to the malpractice.So far so good.I cured my type 2 diabetes without a so-called doctor in sight I have been diabetic free for over a year now .All my many complications have cleared up .What a difference. I feel as if i have been given a new lease of life

• Like Like x 2
    #44 david1241, May 23, 2018 at 2:25 PM
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  5. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Agree that for someone with known heart disease then statins benefit you however interestingly the reason why is not known but its got nothing to do with lowering ldl cholesterol. You may be interested to hear cardiologist Aseem Malhotra (UK based) view on stents also...http://doctoraseem.com/ and also on YouTube.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Suzypooh77

Suzypooh77 Type 1 · Member

I'm taking Simvastatin, I've been on them many years now with no side effects and perfect cholesterol levels. I take 40mg at night and I'm happy with them.

7. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Same here, but I'm wondering if my aches and pains are age related or statin related..................? May ask about Rosuvastatin though instead.

8. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My cholesterol levels fell from over 7 to just over 5 when I sent lower carb higher fat
    Carol

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook