Statins recommended due to cholesterol increase

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah ok - will discuss the results with DN/GP re. further iron tests as you suggested.

Mine are on the high end of normal - and sometimes teeter over the edge. I asked for the ferritin and iron tests and they were absolutely normal, so that isn't the reason mine were high. I don't have anaemia at all, so the reason for mine is a mystery. Probably just genetic, or normal for me.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a quick update - spoke to my gp today, who is very nice. He is happy to review my cholesterol in April when I next will have my hba1c taken, and in fact was only going to say cholesterol is borderline at this stage and to treat with diet and lifestyle, added at the end I should be very happy with hba1c drop so far. Did mention statins as a future option if I can't get cholesterol down by April. So I will keep doing as I am for now and hopefully as the weight loss is more steady now (it was still quite rapid when blood test was taken) things will have settled down a bit by then - nice to have a reprieve!
I will fast before next test too, even though they say it's not necessary.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A further quick update - finally got to speak to my diabetic nurse today - she couldn't remember why I had to speak to her! She went through my hbA1c results and told me it was 'incredible' to have dropped from 72 to 55 in a month. Asked me again how I did it - totally on board with me saying a low carb diet and more healthy fats. Told me to keep doing what I'm doing and we'll check again at 3 month review and wasn't worried about my cholesterol - she noted that my HDL had gone up which was good. I told her I was testing my blood sugars and she said..... GREAT! Said I didn't have to do it every day but it was a very good idea! I realise I'm extremely lucky to have her as my nurse.

Reactions: Alison Campbell