Statins recommended

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.. I've been for my 3 monthly results today and my BS has dropped from 51 to 44 and my cholesterol has dropped from 5 to 4.7. The doctor however want me to start taking statins from now on as it is a precaution they say due to me being diabetic.. I have been doing some. research on this and every thread says it raises BS skills I'm confuses as to why they would put me on these as I've worked do hard with a LCHF eating plan to bring my BS down.. do I need to be worried. They say I need to take them very confused at the moment

Reactions: Freema

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you got a breakdown of your cholesterol result ? That is not a high result.
LCHF brought my cholesterol down and raised the good part.

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If this isn't a high result why would they wanted. On statins.. they say it's not low enough it should be 4 or lower for a diabetic but I've brought it down from last time ..

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should avoid statins if possible. They have severe negative side effects for many people including memory loss. They have very little benefits and should only only be taken by men who have had a heart attack. There is no benefit for women and for people without heart disease. See the film Statin Nation for some background info about Statins.

Strangely, the level of cholesterol of people who have heart attacks in the uk is lower than the average cholesterol levels, so there is no correlation between cholesterol and dying of heart disease. Unfortunately, statins do make it more likely you will die of cancer, so any small benefit of taking them is wiped out by the increase of death due to other diseases.

Last edited:

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is up to you whether you take them.
They tried me on 4 different types and they made all my muscles and joints hurt.
I refuse politely now :)
I've also read somewhere on here... for a lady of my age, it is preferable to be over 5 .. as a protection against dementia

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are your thoughts on statins and do you have any advice.. I am really concerned about this as I just think they banged on about taking them and it would reduce my chances of heart attacks and strokes

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Luckily we still live in a society (but sometimes I do wonder for how much longer) where a patient can refuse to take medication that they don't think will benefit them. If you look at the lipids section of my signature, you'll see that I've got way higher cholesterol than you and I'm still refusing a statin. I took them for 6 months, had all sorts of aches and pains, especially in my legs, started having memory issues and shortly after got diagnosed with Type 2. There is no way on earth I'm going to be forced to go through that again. All I care about is the trigs/HDL ratio - as long as it's low, I'm happy :)

If you want to raise your HDL, oily fish, eggs and dairy are a great way of doing it.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are your thoughts on statins and do you have any advice.. I am really concerned about this as I just think they banged on about taking them and it would reduce my chances of heart attacks and strokes
See this video to see some of the negative side effects of statins

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm 48 yrs old

The over 5 is recommended for the over 50's I think. I'm 61 and my cholesterol total is 6.8 but I still won't touch statins.
Read all you can about them and make your own decision.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's no evidence that statins help women at all. Here's some of the literature on the subject:

http://www.whp-apsf.ca/pdf/statinsEvidenceCaution.pdf
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3303886/
Plus:
http://www.virginiahopkinstestkits.com/statinswomen.html
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1973295,00.html

Note in the conclusions of the last study:

"If our findings are generalizable, clinical and public health recommendations regarding the ‘dangers’ of cholesterol should be revised. This is especially true for women, for whom moderately elevated cholesterol (by current standards) may prove to be not only harmless but even beneficial."

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@maxjoe121 - I have had this conversation with my GP too.

My response to her was that I had done quite a bit of reading, and whilst I could find plenty of scientific papers heralding the benefits of statins (she was smiling through all of this), but that I had, to date, been unable to find any papers where a decent proportion of the study's subjects were female, and similarly absent were papers studying "women of a certain age". (Seh wasn't smiling so uch then)

I asked if she would refer me to to reading relevant to me and people like me, but she couldn't.

We agreed to review my results in future, but for now she wouldn't press statins any more.