Statins -- timing of side-effects

desidiabulum

Hi all,
Long time no post. I realize that one reliable feature of the forum over the years is that there will always be several live threads about taking statins. So sorry for adding to the number, but I have a slightly different angle.
After 2 angioplasties my very nice cardio surgeon put me on statins for life. My even nicer diabetes doctor agreed to check CKs and other functions after a couple of months to check I was doing OK. Fast forward seven years of taking atorvastatin and no side effects to speak of. But these last 6 months I have been getting constant crippling cramps in calves, shins etc like you wouldn't believe. Of course lots of things can cause them, and I have been having treatment from my even-nicer-than-the-other-doctors physio. But after crossing off most of the possible causes I am starting to wonder whether this could be those statins after all. I will get by CKs checked, but I was wondering whether anyone else encountered a lengthy time lag before side effects kicked in.
The only other change to my glorious diabetic life in the last 6 months has been my switch to dapagliflozin. Cramps aren't usually listed as a side effect of that, and I really hope they aren't because this drug did wonders for my BGs

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I wonder if you are losing salts as an effect of the dapagliflozin?? Although I guess your blood salts will all have been checked. Have you had any dietary changes recently? E.g. vodka always gives me cramp in my calves and I have no idea why that should be.

Reactions: desidiabulum

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I was taking statins for around 18 months when the cramps started, a friend suggested that it could be the statins. I stopped taking them and in a few days the cramps were less severe, after a week they had completely disappeared. I remained statin and cramp free for 5 or 6 weeks when I decided to try them again, within a week the cramps were back. Dr changed my prescription from pravastatin to simvastatin, it seemed ok for a few months but the cramps returned. The last one he tried was atorvastatin, same result as the other two but this time with the added bonus of T2, yes raised blood sugar and T2 are listed as possible side effects.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just in case it isn't medication related... my cramps from low carbing seem to be cured by taking magnesium citrate every day

RosemaryJackson

I don't take Statins but I also take Magnesium every day and I also put Tonic Water in my squash every day. I used to get night cramps terribly and lost lots of sleep over it. I'm now free od cramp but I didn't know low carbing could cause it. We are never too old to learn something new!