Statins

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been to the doctors this morning after a request to make an appointment following my blood results. As far as my results are concerned everything is good Hba1c was 44...:) and my total cholesterol was 4.6...thyroid is a bit out of whack but that is easily fixed with an increase in levothyroxine...so nothing too worrying. However my doctor was piling on the pressure to put me on statins for no other reason than the fact that I am Type 1...have an under active thyroid and am over 40 so apparently in a higher risk category. I challenged her and said that surely if my cholesterol is all in check was it really necessary but she was quite insistent that for the fact I have two autoimmune diseases + age = statins. To be honest this is something that I don't really know much about other than what I've picked up on the forum in regards to statins and their side effects and I'm not really comfortable with the idea of going on them. Would be interested in other peoples thoughts on statins and whether it is advisable or not.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't advise anyone to take statins because they caused me short-term memory problems, as a result of which I was made redundant.I also experienced the usual muscle/joint pain, but more worryingly extreme lack of appetite which meant I found it difficult to eat enough carbohydrate to balance my insulin. I was also told by the consultant at the eye unit of the local hospital, that cataracts in both eyes, diagnosed at age 50, were probably caused by statin use. (I was told chloresterol is required to maintain the lens.)
You also need to be aware that any side effects you develop are unlikely to be recognised as such by doctors, so if these do become a problem, you will then be offered more drugs to deal with what they believe is a different problem.

Have a look at the NHS Choices site and type 'statins side-effects' into the search. You need to make up your own mind. You can refuse and tell your doctor you will reconsider if anything changes.

From what you say, you have no reason to take statins currently. When the side effects can be so damaging, yet so unrecogised, it is something you need to consider carefully. I took them for 2 and a half years and was aware of pain in my legs, but was prepared to put up with that. It was when I realised I had other side-effects that I stopped.

Last edited:

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Definitely something to be careful about, and JMK's experiences sound pretty scary, however, there may be different factors, and there are certainly different statins and dosages: without going against anyone else's experiences, I personally went on a low dose of rosuvastatin and it helped bring my triglycerides down from a dangerously high 32.2 to 1.3 in a matter of months. It also helped greatly with my peripheral neuropathy, and I had no side-effects.I certainly wouldn't want to take them unless required, but they did help in my specific case.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take statins and have done so for years, and just like you the doctor had suggested I take them just because I'm T1 - at the time my cholesterol was slightly elevated so I went along with it as I didn't know any better.

My cholesterol is fine and has been since taking it, and as far as I'm concerned I have no ill affects from it although I do sometimes wonder if I do or whether it's just my age...........! (I'm probably 4 yrs older than you judging by your nametag)

I might speak to my Doc and see if I can try life without them just to see! Only you can decide, at least you have some time to research and come up with an informed choice.

All the best.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Would be interested in other peoples thoughts on statins and whether it is advisable or not.

Only you can make that decision to go on statins @Natalie1974

I don't take them as my cholesterol levels are in range, however a few years back I had a health scare where it was thought I had angina but turned out to be a musculoskeletal problem , during my hospital stay the cardio nurse suggested I start on statins due to my age and longevity with type 1 (TC was 4.3), a note must have been made on my medical file as when I next seen the diabetes consultant statins were discussed he suggested that I should start on them as a precautionary measure against CVD, the consultant I seen was not my usual one so didn't feel overly confident with their opinion.

However a prescription was sent to me from my gp practise for the drug Simvastatin, so I decided to book an appointment and speak with my Dr about this, he looked at my past and present cholesterol results and the results from the cardio clinic which showed no evidence of CVD and said he didn't think I should take them knowing that I also eat a healthy diet and exercise regularly, but he did say we should look to review things again in 5 years time.

Sorry for the long post but what I'm saying is seek a second opinion, maybe ask your diabetes consultant for their views and then make a decision, tbh if my CVD risk was high and cholesterol levels were raised I wouldn't hesitate to take a statin as I've had two family members who have taken them without any issues, but as said before Natalie the choice is yours.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
One recognised side effect of statins is an increase in blood glucose levels. It usually says so on the information leaflet and is definitely shown on the drug website. There are plenty on here that will testify to this.

The other issue is your total cholesterol is 4.6. It has been shown in research that the optimum level for living longer is 5.5, particularly in women. If you decide to take statins, this total will drop even lower. In most cases, all diabetics, whether T1 or T2 are told to go on statins irrespective of any other considerations. I was told, on diagnosis. "we put all diabetics on statins".

Have you got the breakdown of your lipids? HDL/LDL/Triglycerides/ratios? They are far more significant than the total. If you don't know them, then I strongly advise you to ask before you make any decisions.

My oncologist told me a few years ago now that low dose aspirin was a better choice for keeping the blood flowing (not for lowering cholesterol!)

At the end of the day, the choice is yours, but do your research first. It's all out there if you Google for the research.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Statins could cause problems to the liver, with high transaminase or other hepatic problems, too.
I suppose that if one has low lipids levels, could discuss with the GP if is really necessary to take another medication, with all possible side effects or interactions this give.

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess you were always going to get a mix of yes, no and up to you. Personally I was given statins as par for the course for diabetics by the hospital registrar/doctor? who discharged me when I was diagnosed after being in A&E. I took them for about a month had terrible nausea and a really bad rash over my legs. I stopped taking them after the one off prescription I was given and it all cleared up and my diabetic consultant or GP has never picked up I stopped or even suggest I need them. I'm 43 and cholesterol is about the same as yours.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been to the doctors this morning after a request to make an appointment following my blood results. As far as my results are concerned everything is good Hba1c was 44...:) and my total cholesterol was 4.6...thyroid is a bit out of whack but that is easily fixed with an increase in levothyroxine...so nothing too worrying. However my doctor was piling on the pressure to put me on statins for no other reason than the fact that I am Type 1...have an under active thyroid and am over 40 so apparently in a higher risk category. I challenged her and said that surely if my cholesterol is all in check was it really necessary but she was quite insistent that for the fact I have two autoimmune diseases + age = statins. To be honest this is something that I don't really know much about other than what I've picked up on the forum in regards to statins and their side effects and I'm not really comfortable with the idea of going on them. Would be interested in other peoples thoughts on statins and whether it is advisable or not.

Yep, I had that pressure recently too! I'm 48. Lol. I was ready for the "time".. Done my research. Respectfully declined the offer...
As a parting shot, the doc gave me a stark warning. (Oooooooooh!) this may prevent you from a "heart attack or stroke in the next ten years."
My personal veiw? "Kings new clothes." My personal choice? Thanks. But no thanks....
I already sprinkle anti elephant powder on my lawn every night. Seems to work! My grass is untrampled & as I left it the night before.... ;)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on my 4th different brand and I hate them all - every one has given me muscle pain, nerve pain insomnia, nightmares and memory problems. A couple of them even made me feel I had been worked over with a baseball bat. Nowadays I only take them in the weeks running up to my blood test to keep the doctors off my back. I don't believe in any of the cholesterol nonsense - it's not treating the cause.