Statins

SilvT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m so confused in whether I should be taking statins. The docs and hospital are telling me because I’m >10 years of having diabetes, i should be taking them. I’m 42 years old and had diabetes for 26 years now. No one has ever said about taking them to prevent heart attacks etc and now all of a sudden I’m forced to take them. My Cholesterol is 4.1, Triglycerides is 0.4 and has an ‘L’ next to it, HDL 1.3, LDL 2.6, HDL ratio 3.2 and Non HDL is 2.8. All my levels are within the normal range. Is anyone else going through this or gone through this?

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi apparently it‘s nhs guidelines to offer statins to those at risk, diabetics and anyone over 50 as a precaution! You can choose whether you want to take them. I get asked every year and I decline. They laugh now when they ask as they know what the answer is going to be. Do lots of research then you can make an informed decision

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I’m so confused in whether I should be taking statins. The docs and hospital are telling me because I’m >10 years of having diabetes, i should be taking them. I’m 42 years old and had diabetes for 26 years now. No one has ever said about taking them to prevent heart attacks etc and now all of a sudden I’m forced to take them. My Cholesterol is 4.1, Triglycerides is 0.4 and has an ‘L’ next to it, HDL 1.3, LDL 2.6, HDL ratio 3.2 and Non HDL is 2.8. All my levels are within the normal range. Is anyone else going through this or gone through this?
You might find this useful. By the way I am allergic to statins and still well nearly 25 years later!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
You might find this useful. By the way I am allergic to statins and still well nearly 25 years later!

SilvT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi apparently it‘s nhs guidelines to offer statins to those at risk, diabetics and anyone over 50 as a precaution! You can choose whether you want to take them. I get asked every year and I decline. They laugh now when they ask as they know what the answer is going to be. Do lots of research then you can make an informed decision
Thank you for the advice. I didn’t know they offer it over 50s. They said to me it’s anyone who’s been diabetic for over 10 years needs it. I have done the research but have no clue what to do.

Reactions: MissMuffett

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the advice. I didn’t know they offer it over 50s. They said to me it’s anyone who’s been diabetic for over 10 years needs it. I have done the research but have no clue what to do.
You don’t NEED it. They get lots of money for prescribing it and I think it’s money driven rather than any benefits for patients but that’s my own opinion after doing research :oops:

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier

SilvT

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You don’t NEED it. They get lots of money for prescribing it and I think it’s money driven rather than any benefits for patients but that’s my own opinion after doing research :oops:
That’s so typical they should be looking after their patients!! Thanks so much for the advice really appreciate it.

Reactions: MissMuffett