STATIN'S

Nick Mills

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I've just had my 1st year appointment with the consultant, he has put me on statins as I'm a type 1 diabetic and he said its normal and for prevention against heart disease and stokes, etc

Has anyone else had this ? My cholesterol isn't high, I would have thought I would have been advised to change diet, etc, before going straight on tablets.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep. I've been offered statins for a few years now. Decent lipid profile but the stock reply is 'all type 1s over 40 should take statins' I always politely decline and move on.

It's your decision.

• Agree
Reactions: Jaylee

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They're offered to me every appointment, and I've always refused.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
My father in law who's not diabetic but offered statins always refused , as he does everything covid jab , flu jab pneumonia jab etc etc then had a heart attack , now stamps his feat have the statins he yells it could save your life !

NatashaGray99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there - I was put on statins when I was 13! My father has high cholesterol so that could have been a contributing factor, but as far as I’m aware it is relatively normal for a T1 diabetic to be prescribed these, as you said, as a preventative measure…
I’ve been on them for 11 years and so far no side effects!

• Informative
Reactions: Pipp

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've taken statins for 8 years and my cholesterol overall is 4.7. I stopped taking statins for 9 months with my gp's knowledge and the number went up to 7, so I resumed and it's back to under 5 these days. I use this breakdown gizmo: https://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php
There is a ton of discussion about statins on the forum.

Reactions: NatashaGray99

noyahO21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I've just had my 1st year appointment with the consultant, he has put me on statins as I'm a type 1 diabetic and he said its normal and for prevention against heart disease and stokes, etc

Has anyone else had this ? My cholesterol isn't high, I would have thought I would have been advised to change diet, etc, before going straight on tablets.

Hi, my Endo said she wanted me to go on statins because of my long term type 1 diabetes (40 years at the time) to help prevent heart attack or stroke in the future. I was initially surprised as my cholesterol wasn’t high. She also said it’s advisable for a type 1 diabetic to have cholesterol levels a lot lower than a non-diabetic. I don’t mind taking them, have had no side effects and have now had diabetes for 58 years and my cholesterol levels are fine. :)

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Hi there - I was put on statins when I was 13! My father has high cholesterol so that could have been a contributing factor, but as far as I’m aware it is relatively normal for a T1 diabetic to be prescribed these, as you said, as a preventative measure…
I’ve been on them for 11 years and so far no side effects!
I've been on them for probably 20 years and luckily had no side effects , I guess it's a case of weighing up the pros & cons .

Reactions: CheeseSeaker