Steak & Kidney Pudding

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I love Steak & Kidney pudding, not pie, but pudding, proper suet pudding. So this week I am going to attempt Mrs Beeton's original recipe....but with Almond flour replacing regular flour. I have beef suet coming from the local butcher, because the supermarket suet has way too much flour in it.

It is winter down here in Melbourne and a proper Melbourne winter too so a steak and kidney pudding with brussel sprouts, broccoli and celeriac mash will be most welcome.

Has anyone else given this a go? I'd be keen to know if almond or coconut flour works as a substitute.

Reactions: Alison54321

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love to be able to have Steak and Kidney pudding as I also would like to have Spotted **** again. I don't know if almond flour would work I suppose it is try it and see. I can't stand anything made with almond or coconut flour so they are no substitute for the real thing for me so it has to be none at all

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Oh to have a real Steak and kidney pudding again - without feeling guilty. Better still a Sussex pond pudding made with a whole lemon smothered in butter and sugar (sweetener?) in a suet crust and then steamed until the lemon turns to lemon curd. I can imagine that as being a washday treat cooked while the copper was boiling. Definitely warming on a cold day but has to be eaten while still hot, not reheated.

Reactions: TonyHancock

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since my original post with a suggestion of sesame flour as another option was deleted, I'm re-posting.

I prefer it to coconut flour which I've found somewhat difficult to work with as it's very absorbant, but apparently according to Googled information needs less liquid than you'd normally expect to use! :wideyed:

Robbity

Reactions: TonyHancock

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
That's probably why my crazy mothers steak and kidney puddings tasted like carp detergent when I was a kid. :meh:
Why do you think they floured the cloth? The flour thickens and acts as a barrier in the cloth to stop the water getting to the crust. When you had to fetch water from a pump (if you were lucky) then heat it you made the most use you could of the heat and water. Washing took most of the day and was heavy work. A filling meal for the rest of the family, prepared in the copper, was necessary. Cheap cuts of meat take a long time to cook until tender so the problem was solved. Pond pudding is delicious fresh and hot, but rubbish the next day. If a suet crust can be made with almond flour I will have a go with lemon and sweetener to see if I can make an acceptable dessert for this winter.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
How did the pudding turn out?

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Now I love Steak & Kidney pudding, not pie, but pudding, proper suet pudding. So this week I am going to attempt Mrs Beeton's original recipe....but with Almond flour replacing regular flour. I have beef suet coming from the local butcher, because the supermarket suet has way too much flour in it.

It is winter down here in Melbourne and a proper Melbourne winter too so a steak and kidney pudding with brussel sprouts, broccoli and celeriac mash will be most welcome.

Has anyone else given this a go? I'd be keen to know if almond or coconut flour works as a substitute.
Haven't tried the flour but it should work. What about vegetarian diet for the pastry, tastes good and has to be healthier?

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As an update, I am still yet to make the pudding!! Today I am hoping to get the beef suet from the local butcher so tomorrow is "D-Day"

@Lynne C J What do you mean by "vegetarian diet for pastry"?

purplesally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
As an update, I am still yet to make the pudding!! Today I am hoping to get the beef suet from the local butcher so tomorrow is "D-Day"

Will keep coming back to this post, if you are successful you will defo be on my list to remember when I win the lotto!!!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm guessing at an autocorrect from "vegetarian suet" although why that should be considered more healthy I'm not sure.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although on checking (Atora) it has fewer carbs that the beef suet but is made from sunflower and palm oil (which for me makes it a big no). The second ingredient is wheat flour for both beef and veg suet so try and get some fresh from the butcher rather than packet versions.

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly it has been one big failure. I can't find a butcher with Beef Suet. (I Am in Australia as an aside) I'll keep trying but time is not on my side as I begin extensive travel within a fortnight. Interestingly the butchers are stating that October is the month that they tend to stock suet....my assumption is it probably is the right timing for Christmas Puddings.

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I finally managed to get some beef suet and spend this morning hard at work in the kitchen. As I had been forewarned the lack of a "binding" agent in almond flour proved troublesome. I used three egg whites but it was still impossible to roll the dough. I finished up flattening it in my hand for the top and spreading the larger part around the basin.

It steamed up nicely but the taste is nowhere near my beloved traditional pudding. (....well apart form the steak and kidneys themselves.) It is a 6.5 out of 10 for me.

S&K.jpg

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
My mouth is watering just looking at it! We have been having a massive heat wave in Europe and steamed puddings are not on the menu. When the weather cools a little I'll give a pond pudding a go, I found patting out the pastry to fit the bowl and to make the top the best way last time I made one.

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My mouth is watering just looking at it! We have been having a massive heat wave in Europe and steamed puddings are not on the menu. When the weather cools a little I'll give a pond pudding a go, I found patting out the pastry to fit the bowl and to make the top the best way last time I made one.
Go for it.Although I do watch my carb intake,it can be taken to the obsessive extreme.Enjoy it.