Type 2 Steam Rooms And BG Levels

wiseone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 and have been off meds for 2 years. I have a low carb diet (target 80 grams a day) and have lowered my BG to normalise levels (average 6.2).
Have just joined a gym and had my induction today so had no breakfast, workout at 8a.m. ending with a relaxing swim and 10 minutes in the steam room. Got home 10.a.m. checked my bg before I ate and was astounded that it was a whopping 9.5. Had a bowl of porridge waited 2 hrs and it was still 9.7. Panic not I thought so went for a 3 mile walk around shopping trip, skipped lunch and just drank water. Got home (about 3 hrs later) checked my BG and it was back to a normal 5.2 Whew!!
Was it the steam room? I have looked on line and there is some possibility that it was. Next time I'll take a bottle of water with me and ensure that I am properly hydrated. Has anybody else had a similar experience or advice.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have seen a few post on here where people have noticed a hot shower can raise blood sugar. I do not know if it is the temperature or just the exertion of showering and hair washing etc. I do know that I personally would not eat porridge when blood sugars are already higher than wanted.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercise on a empty stomach raises my BG . I nibble a few almonds and that seems to help.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Getting dressed for a swim raises mine. A shower afterwards too. Swimming can too if I stress my body out doing it.
I think more the exercise without breakfast more the cause than the raised blood pressure from a steam room.
Yrs ago you were advised to avoid yacuzzi and steam room if you were on blood pressure tablets! Raised blood pressure I feel interfers with bgs but no medical proof.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm type 1 @wiseone rather than type 2, and exercise raises my blood glucose on its own. Sometimes after I swim I go in the steam room, but I don't notice a difference in my blood glucose when I do steam versus when I don't steam, if that makes sense.

wiseone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for your replies. I have learned that exercise brings my BG down so I was trying to augment my improvement by starting a regular exercise regime. Will eat an hour before my next session and drink plenty of water in the steam room. Will try it again and see if this works better. Many thanks for your input.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercise is more likely to raise your levels on an empty stomach because your body needs a lot of energy for that sort of exercise and there is very little in your system, so your liver provides some. Often far too much.