1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Stem cell therapy for complications

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments' started by Becks33, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Becks33

Becks33 · Well-Known Member

Hello

I have been diagnosed with proliferative diabetic retinopathy that just keeps getting worse regardless of my diabetic controll , it’s scaring me and disabling me from life I keep having haemorrhages in my eyes and it’s torture I’ve looked into stem cell therapy that actually repairs the damage done from the diabetes at the back of the eye and I refuse to have anymore laser treatment here in London I don’t want to damage healthy tissue in my eye to save the front vision that is ridiculous is this the only treatment we have for this disease?? I absolutely beside myself trying to do some research if anyone knows can you share your knowledge or information please ?

• Hug Hug x 2
  2. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@Dark Horse do you have any info on alternative treatments?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

Stem cell therapy is only at the research stage so not an option.

This site discusses both anti-VEGF injections and laser for proliferative diabetic retinopathy (PDR). http://www.diabeticretinopathy.org.uk/proliferative.html Anti-VEGF for PDR is not available on the NHS but could be an option if you were seen privately.

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook