upload_2018-11-11_11-40-27.jpeg

Perfick!

Reactions: nomoredonuts

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @MargaretR
You are exactly the person I was hoping to discover on the forum. You have the experience, the wise words and the shred of comfort I was seeking. Thanks.

Thanks. Steroids have so many side effects, but sometimes their use is essential. Good luck with the Bell’s palsy

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
I hope your title to this thread is meant to be humorous.
Taking steroids to cure a condition like Bells Palsy is definitely not abuse.
Unfortunately, there are times we need to do things which affect our BG for the “greater good” of our bodies and/or lives and/or family. There’s no point beating ourselves up because our BG goes up whilst we are treating something else.
Hope you feel better (Bells Palsy and inflated BG) soon.
Yes @helensaramay ! Most of what I write it attempted humour. Course it falls flat most of the time... The title was an attention grabber. I do a monthly graph of my BG and had to add more numbers to accommodate the rise! So I'm a bit paranoid, grumpy, anal, obsessed, but I'm still smiling.
Just lop-sided. ;)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@nomoredonuts Steroids in particular prednisolone as far as I know also desensitize the liver to insulin produced by the pancreas so that it does not react properly to the increase in insulin production and so where it would normally in the presence of extra insulin stop or reduce the release of sugar it instead carries on releasing sugar and will cause a build up of sugar in the blood and you can then get raised blood sugar levels.

Too many sugars in this post sorry.

Reactions: Brunneria

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@nomoredonuts Steroids in particular prednisolone as far as I know also desensitize the liver to insulin produced by the pancreas so that it does not react properly to the increase in insulin production and so where it would normally in the presence of extra insulin stop or reduce the release of sugar it instead carries on releasing sugar and will cause a build up of sugar in the blood and you can then get raised blood sugar levels.

Too many sugars in this post sorry.

I must have missed that class in biology, but from what is the liver producing all this sugar? I'm admittedly moderate, rather than low-carb and I guess most things have some carb content so should I attempt to exercise it off? Or just put up with it and get back on track after the steroids have done their work?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@nomoredonuts

Personally and this is only my opinion but I feel that while on steroids trying to modify blood sugars by exercise may be rather difficult if I were you with an outlook of coming off the steroids quite soon I would just try to ride it out as once you are no longer taking them in time things will settle down again hopefully quite quickly.

One of the functions of the liver is to take sugars from blood stream and store it those sugars can come from any metabolic pathway that produces sugars

"When you’re not eating – especially overnight or between meals, the body has to make its own sugar. The liver supplies sugar or glucose by turning glycogen into glucose in a process called glycogenolysis. The liver also can manufacture necessary sugar or glucose by harvesting amino acids, waste products and fat byproducts. This process is called gluconeogenesis."

https://dtc.ucsf.edu/types-of-diabe...e-body-processes-sugar/the-liver-blood-sugar/

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@nomoredonuts

Personally and this is only my opinion but I feel that while on steroids trying to modify blood sugars by exercise may be rather difficult if I were you with an outlook of coming off the steroids quite soon I would just try to ride it out as once you are no longer taking them in time things will settle down again hopefully quite quickly.

One of the functions of the liver is to take sugars from blood stream and store it those sugars can come from any metabolic pathway that produces sugars

"When you’re not eating – especially overnight or between meals, the body has to make its own sugar. The liver supplies sugar or glucose by turning glycogen into glucose in a process called glycogenolysis. The liver also can manufacture necessary sugar or glucose by harvesting amino acids, waste products and fat byproducts. This process is called gluconeogenesis."

https://dtc.ucsf.edu/types-of-diabe...e-body-processes-sugar/the-liver-blood-sugar/
Thanks John. Great answer!