Steroid induced diabetes - low sugar during the night

Sparkle18

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, My dad has had UC for about 16 years. It is generally well controlled with medication. However when he has a flare up he is given a course of steroids. In turn the steroids bring on 'steroid induced diabetes'. This happened over Xmas and he is having problems with his blood glucose levels during the night. He wakes up in the early hours with a headache and feels shaky. His glucose level is around 3.1 which is too low. They are abroad on holiday at the moment. He does have diabetes meds with him in case this happened but can anyone suggest something he could take before he goes to bed which will maintain his glucose level through the night?
Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I doubt very much that his diabetes meds will raise his blood sugar and it sounds like they may be the cause of the problem.
What type of diabetes does he have and what medications does he take?

Reactions: SimonCrox

SimonCrox

Yes, with the steroids, the glucose levels shoot up over the afternoon and evening and drop overnight. Possibly lower than the 3.1 mmo/L that you have found given the symptoms.
Is he actually taking any medication for the diabetes?
Any decent long acting CHO food at bedtime should help eg big sandwich, bowl of porridge etc, whatever is available wherever they are.
best wishes

Reactions: Garway

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I normally have a couple of rich tea biscuits at bed time.

Sparkle18

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for your responses...
TBH I don't know what meds he has as he is only taking them if his steroids start to cause problems. I really don't know much about diabetes, only that his is steroid induced (it's happened before but a long time ago).
Whatever he is on did the trick before I think in stabilising his bloods but not so much at the min.
Thanks for the tips on what to eat before bedtime... I'll pass those on
Thanks

Reactions: Garway

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sparkle

Steroid induced is Diabetes Type 2. I have it and I have a similar thing between breakfast and lunch, I include something like bread or brown rice in lunch if a test at 11.30 shows I’m running low. If it is happening overnight John’s suggestion above is good.

Margaret

Reactions: SimonCrox

Sparkle18

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Sparkle

Steroid induced is Diabetes Type 2. I have it and I have a similar thing between breakfast and lunch, I include something like bread or brown rice in lunch if a test at 11.30 shows I’m running low. If it is happening overnight John’s suggestion above is good.

Margaret
Thank you Margaret that's really helpful... I've passed it on so will see if he improves