Steroid induced diabetes

Emersons

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. I am now type 2 diabetic due to taking steroids. I am told this may be temporary or permanent. I am injecting 26 units of NovoMix before breakfast and 14 before supper. I am struggling to maintain satisfactory sugar levels on the evening, they tend to be between 15 and 19. They drop down to about 10 an hour or so later. Has anyone else experienced this? Your comments would be much appreciated

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No personal experience. But as a physician I've seen Type 2 DM "unmasked" by the introduction of corticosteroid therapy (usually prednisolone, aka prednisone) treatment for something else. Also blood sugar levels tend to skyrocket when steroids are added to a know Type 2's meds. IMO doctors tend to use steroids fairly generously. I don't use them in my specialty (cardiology) which I'll admit is one reason I chose it.

Emersons

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am taking 20mg of prednisolone daily. I had a liver transplant 4 weeks ago and am on 12mg Avagraf also. My blood sugars rocketed about 3 weeks ago when I was given IV 2g of prednisolone for 3 days. Apparently the dose of 20 mg will be reduced over a couple of months to zero