Steroid induced T2 Diabetes

ShaunC008

Hi all
I was diagnosed about 10 days ago with Steroid induced diabetes. My first reading was 33 and if it wasn’t that my ketones were .2 they would have admitted me.
At the time due to a weight loss of over 5 stone due to the cancer I was stuffing down high fat, carbs and sugar as reccomended by the dietitian. I’ve stopped all that now but I’m so confused at all the contradictory info between low sugar and low carbs.
I have cut virtually all sugar out and have drastically reduced my carbs but I’m still running at 15@0800, 20@1600 and 24@2200.
Anyone been through similar?
Thanks

Reactions: Linsbxx

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum! Lots of useful info here. What sort of meals are you eating when you say low carb? For many of us, when we say low carb, we cut out a lot of carbs, no bread, no pasta no rice etc. We even count the carbs in vegetables and fruit, crazy I know but it’s the only way we try and stay healthy.

ShaunC008

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
All meals are now freshly cooked, no processed.Still having rice and pasta once a week but now the brown stuff. Loads more fish, chicken and Turkey. Biggest problem is that for 50 years I have been a beef and potato man and I probably have 10% of what I used to. I suspect that despite feeling sorry for myself, I have not been drastic enough

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
For a normal person brown carbs are better as they given their body more time to get the sugar that it turns into out of the bloodstream via insulin into fat and into your cells. If you are type 2 then your body struggles to pump more than a certain amount of said sugar into the cells in any given period of time, even as it adds more and more insulin, because you are insulin resistant. Eating brown types of carbs doesn't change that problem - your body doesn't know or care where the blood sugar came from.