Steroids and impact on blood sugars

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don't know if this helps, I was in hospital last Monday 21/12 to have an steroid injection put in my shoulder being a diabetic they took a reading which was 10 about 2 to 3 min later I used my meter reading of 9

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know if this helps, I was in hospital last Monday 21/12 to have an steroid injection put in my shoulder being a diabetic they took a reading which was 10 about 2 to 3 min later I used my meter reading of 9
Sorry to side track but did it effect your levels afterwards. They are discussing me having one in a couple of weeks. I’m not keen. I’ve tried several before diagnosis to no effect and I’m worried about bgl now too.

alanj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been diagnosed first with frozen, then fluid (Bursitis) shoulder. As for gluco readings, I been running high for about 8weeks now had phone appointment with D/N she told me inject 4 units of Apidra when over 10. So haven't noticed. I am sorry I can't help you with readings. I did panicked and ordered extra insulin

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @alanj and @HSSS

I’ve merged a new thread started by Alan and the original content from an earlier thread here so that the discussion can continue.

Reactions: HSSS

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagnosed first with frozen, then fluid (Bursitis) shoulder. As for gluco readings, I been running high for about 8weeks now had phone appointment with D/N she told me inject 4 units of Apidra when over 10. So haven't noticed. I am sorry I can't help you with readings. I did panicked and ordered extra insulin
Ah. I don’t use insulin so not especially relevant to me. Hope it helps you though. Mine was a a frozen shoulder And impingement a few years ago, then surgery and now increasing issues over the last 6 months. Personally I suspect the surgery caused it and steroids will do nothing as it’s not another frozen shoulder (which didn’t respond the first 3 times to steroids anyway)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah. I don’t use insulin so not especially relevant to me. Hope it helps you though. Mine was a a frozen shoulder And impingement a few years ago, then surgery and now increasing issues over the last 6 months. Personally I suspect the surgery caused it and steroids will do nothing as it’s not another frozen shoulder (which didn’t respond the first 3 times to steroids anyway)

Just to add to the discussion, I had a steroid injection in my thumb for trigger finger a couple of years ago. There was no noticeable effect on my BG - the highest I recorded was while sitting in the waiting room stressing about how much it’d hurt! I was finger pricking rather than using a Libre, but if there were any spikes they were very short lived. And for what it’s worth, the injection did the trick. Pain has not returned.

Reactions: HSSS