Steroids

remployles

Recently I have suffered a chest infection. the Doctor prescribed antibiotics which didn't clear it. She then prescribed stronger antibiotics and Pred which is a Steroid. I have type two diabetes and prior to this my morning readings were around 6.3 mark. Since taking the Pred (I finished three weeks ago) they are regularly in the 8s sometimes even 9s. My eating has not changed nor my lifestyle in any significant form. Should I be worried? I am 62 anyone any |ideas please?

Dazza1984

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Steroids unfortunately will impact your BG levels, causing them to rise. It's a normal and useful physiological result of this type of chemical.

For example, your body naturally produces a hormone called Cortisol, which itself is a steroid. This is a "stress hormone" and causes a BG increase. More stress, more need for energy (fight or flight) and thus makes glucose more available to you.
Normally the body would use this BG via insulin, but as we're special it just floats around in our blood :-(

Transient, short term increases aren't a major concern. Your levels, even on the preds are still quite good. If you're not on these preds too long I wouldn't worry too much.
I would say tweak your insulin but this itself can be dangerous as you could misjudge.

Call your DN?