Stigma Surrounding Diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 10. I remember the feeling of what is this? how am I going to get through this? what is going to happen? All of these reactions seem fairly normal in response to something like this. However, I picked myself up and accepted my new life.

I do have to admit it was hard to get adjusted. I remember crying when my coach had to tell my team that I was diabetic and what to do if I was unconscious or on a low blood sugar. It, at least to me, made me seem as if I was a freak, abnormal, different. This I feel is one of the largest struggles for children with diabetes, they don't want to be seen as anything other than ordinary, they just want to fit in. And having something such as diabetes is not mundane.

Another large issue is the actual false knowledge spread around our disease, how the public is quite misinformed on our conditition. I recall getting comments such as "how can you be diabetic, you're not obese?" or "isn't that the fat person's disease?" All of these are damaging and false comments, aimed at our youth. Diabetes can happen to anyone, and it is something that should not be attached to stereotypes or a related image.

Though I only have presented two accounts, I have many more and I feel you guys as well have many more. I believe that there needs to be a shift in our media on how diabetes is presented and how awareness is taught. This not only will take the burden off of the shoulders of those impacted, it will create a brighter future for those who will be impacted by this disease.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 10. I remember the feeling of what is this? how am I going to get through this? what is going to happen? All of these reactions seem fairly normal in response to something like this. However, I picked myself up and accepted my new life.

I do have to admit it was hard to get adjusted. I remember crying when my coach had to tell my team that I was diabetic and what to do if I was unconscious or on a low blood sugar. It, at least to me, made me seem as if I was a freak, abnormal, different. This I feel is one of the largest struggles for children with diabetes, they don't want to be seen as anything other than ordinary, they just want to fit in. And having something such as diabetes is not mundane.

Another large issue is the actual false knowledge spread around our disease, how the public is quite misinformed on our conditition. I recall getting comments such as "how can you be diabetic, you're not obese?" or "isn't that the fat person's disease?" All of these are damaging and false comments, aimed at our youth. Diabetes can happen to anyone, and it is something that should not be attached to stereotypes or a related image.

Though I only have presented two accounts, I have many more and I feel you guys as well have many more. I believe that there needs to be a shift in our media on how diabetes is presented and how awareness is taught. This not only will take the burden off of the shoulders of those impacted, it will create a brighter future for those who will be impacted by this disease.
Hi - mainly agree with your points but thought I'd give my own perspective on stigma.
I got t1 aged 10 and am now 46. I quite enjoyed being 'special' as a child and my friends liked my glucose tablets and using syringues as water pistols (pre pens, pumps and h &s concerns obviously).
I can honestly say I never felt a stigma given that it was not my fault and I was just getting on with life (uni, career, 3 kids) but now that I am middle aged I do feel the need to clarify my type 1 status because in middle age people assume you are in the type 2 90% majority! This has made me realise that there is probably more stigma around type 2 because it is (incorrectly) seen as a disease o f gluttony and sloth and somewhat self inflicted. I always try to remind people who think this way that 40% of those diagnosed with metabolic syndrome (of which type 2 diabetes is just one symtom) are of normal weight . Until I got more interested in type 2 following my dad's diagnosis 10 years ago, I was also guilty of this judgemental thinking and used to joke that I had 'morally superior' diabetes...

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a shame there is still such ignorance about diabetes and most medical conditions actually. If a person's body cannot process carbs efficiently, no matter the reason, then of course it is NOT their fault. All we can do is try to minimise its effects to help our bodies cope, why anyone would attribute blame to that is baffling.