Still fairly new.....and still trying to come to terms with this

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Caprock94

It would help everyone to give you appropriate advice if you could complete your profile settings to show your type of diabetes, treatment, and medications. If you use the app you will have to log in to the website on your browser to do this.

We can't tell you what is causing your discomfort in your feet and hands. The tightening of the wrists followed by numbness and tingling could be anything - if it continues you need to tell your GP. Burning in the feet could be neuropathy.

Caprock94

@Caprock94

It would help everyone to give you appropriate advice if you could complete your profile settings to show your type of diabetes, treatment, and medications. If you use the app you will have to log in to the website on your browser to do this.

We can't tell you what is causing your discomfort in your feet and hands. The tightening of the wrists followed by numbness and tingling could be anything - if it continues you need to tell your GP. Burning in the feet could be neuropathy.

Yes, I need to update. I am Type 2. Was diagnosed with a1c level of 8.5%. Dropped it down to 6.3% in 6 weeks going low carb diet. Lost 20 pounds. Started having problems in feet after lowering numbers. Quickly spread to both hands. Seems to be happening much faster than typical neuropathy. A bit overwhelming. This happen to anyone else?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I need to update. I am Type 2. Was diagnosed with a1c level of 8.5%. Dropped it down to 6.3% in 6 weeks going low carb diet. Lost 20 pounds. Started having problems in feet after lowering numbers. Quickly spread to both hands. Seems to be happening much faster than typical neuropathy. A bit overwhelming. This happen to anyone else?

You need to update your profile page details rather than write it on this post. This post will get lost in the mists of time, but we can all look at5 your profile page, and your type of diabetes will appear under your avatar.

des991

Sorry to hear you are going through this as well. It’s so frustrating. Not sure why this is happening so quick, and happening after bringing BG numbers down. Maybe there are more here who have experienced this and recovered.

Hi Caprock, to provide an update on this. I have seen great improvements since my last post in this thread to the point I don't believe I have any of these symptoms anymore.

To recap- diagnosed in May with A1C of 7.6 I believe. ~3 weeks after getting my sugar levels in normal ranges started feeling tingling in my foot (no such symptoms before blood sugar control other than when I herniated my disc a couple of years ago), then around the time of my last post in this thread the thing in the feet stopped and instead I had weird feelings in my fingers and arms occasionally. And about a week or so after that it seems to have stopped and I have been feeling mostly normal for a while now with maybe the occasional tingle/itch that lasts a couple of seconds (not sure if that is just psychological). I am not sure what changed but maybe it was the body getting used to the new sugar levels?

I had been taking the following supplements two 1000mcg B12 tablets daily (my doc told me to as apparently a deficiency in this can cause those symptoms. I had slightly low iron/hemoglobin levels as I have very mild anemia and my doc said often low B12 is correlated to that and asked me to take the supplement). Alpha-Lipoic Acid tablet, I took this but then stopped after I ran out of the bottle I bought and the issues stayed away so not sure if it had anything to do with it, I am now taking it again for its other benefits. 1 multivitamin every day or every other day.

During this period I kept physically active with lots of walking and riding the bicycle. During the peak of the tingling I started doing lunges as well when it was particularly noticeable and that helped in the short term (I did this because that tingly feeling was similar to what I experienced a couple of years ago when I crashed my bicycle and herniated a disc on the right side which was causing weird feelings on my right leg including tingling and during physiotherapy doing lunges really helped).

I highly suggest you try B12 and see if it helps you. And maybe give ALA a shot as well. Both these are cheap and available over the counter and are worth a go.

Last edited:

Caprock94

Hi Caprock, to provide an update on this. I have seen great improvements since my last post in this thread to the point I don't believe I have any of these symptoms anymore.

To recap- diagnosed in May with A1C of 7.6 I believe. ~3 weeks after getting my sugar levels in normal ranges started feeling tingling in my foot (no such symptoms before blood sugar control other than when I herniated my disc a couple of years ago), then around the time of my last post in this thread the thing in the feet stopped and instead I had weird feelings in my fingers and arms occasionally. And about a week or so after that it seems to have stopped and I have been feeling mostly normal for a while now with maybe the occasional tingle/itch that lasts a couple of seconds (not sure if that is just psychological). I am not sure what changed but maybe it was the body getting used to the new sugar levels?

I had been taking the following supplements two 1000mcg B12 tablets daily (my doc told me to as apparently a deficiency in this can cause those symptoms. I had slightly low iron/hemoglobin levels as I have very mild anemia and my doc said often low B12 is correlated to that and asked me to take the supplement). Alpha-Lipoic Acid tablet, I took this but then stopped after I ran out of the bottle I bought and the issues stayed away so not sure if it had anything to do with it, I am now taking it again for its other benefits. 1 multivitamin every day or every other day.

During this period I kept physically active with lots of walking and riding the bicycle. During the peak of the tingling I started doing lunges as well when it was particularly noticeable and that helped in the short term (I did this because that tingly feeling was similar to what I experienced a couple of years ago when I crashed my bicycle and herniated a disc on the right side which was causing weird feelings on my right leg including tingling and during physiotherapy doing lunges really helped).

I highly suggest you try B12 and see if it helps you. And maybe give ALA a shot as well. Both these are cheap and available over the counter and are worth a go.

Great news!! Glad you are feeling better. I am still dealing with the same problems, but they do seem to be a little more intermittent now. Maybe it is starting to back off. I have been taking ALA, also some B vitamins, although my B12 levels were normal when tested. My A1C was at 5.9% two weeks ago or so. Judging by my BG meter, it should even be a little lower now. Hoping this goes away soon!