Still Puzzled

A

asparagusp

I raised this issue with the nurse by email earlier today and her answer told me zilch! Maybe one of you could answer my query!

I have had both a cold and eye infection in the last three weeks and they have created havoc with my blood sugar. I increased the Lantus one unit then another unit - so now I am on 10 units.

The infections have gone in the last couple of days but the fasting reading today - eek (8.5/8.3).! I woke up around 3.30 am, hot, and I thought surely not a hypo. I didn't test but now wondered if that was a hypo, and that perhaps I am now on too much insulin, the levels could have fallen during the night and the reading was a liver dump - so decrease the Lantus?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Feeling ill and infections do have a tendency to raise BS levels and generally levels fall back to normal a few days after the illness has passed, so you could be right in your assumption, but I wouldn't make any changes based on one nights untested 'feeling'. Currently it's just a one off but next time if you wake in the middle of the night with those symptoms do a test. I assume you take Lantus just before going to bed?

A

asparagusp

Thanks Slip. No as you can see from my signature below, I take it in the morning!

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
LOL, I can't actually read - especially when it's in orange! ;)

So it's less likely to be your lantus giving you a hypo at 3:30 AM - but not impossible.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It could equally have been a hyper episode. Similar symptoms. It could have been anything at all and nothing to do with blood glucose. I wouldn't be changing my meds based on one event when you have no idea what it was.

Last edited:
M

mist

Better not tell you my readings then..:***:

Glad you are over those infections. Maybe you need more asparagus in your diet! :joyful:

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you increased your lantus dosage whilst sick then give it a good few days after you've recovered before you adjust back down as others have mentioned. I usually know when I've had a hypo in my sleep as I wake up with a high sugar reading that isn't the norm for me and I also feel hung over and like my brain has been zapped. It also takes me a long time to recover from it. I had one the other day and didn't feel back to normal until just before midday. I probably had the hypo around 3-4 am though. We're all different though, but most of us do find we take a while to recover if it was a hypo. If it's just a high sugar reading and you don't feel any different than your usual, then probably other things going on like maybe you still have your infection. I wish you the best. :)

A

asparagusp

Thanks MEP for your reply. I had increased the Lantus by 2 units but obviously not enough. The readings came down - 6.2 yesterday, 5.5 today!

Reactions: Mep