Stir-Fry low the low carb way

Breck Lundin

Years ago when first Dx'd I learned i had to adjust so many recipes that i love. How i served stir-fry was near the top of must fix list.

I discovered if i Julienne cut cabbage i put it on top of the cooked stir-fry in the wok, covered it then let it cook a few minutes, the cabbage made of a tasty subs for pan fried noodles or rice. Let me eat more of the dish of the moment.

In general I've had great success in reducing carbs with Wok cooking. Plenty of spinach (added at very very last to not have it completely wilt), whatever other veggies ate om hand.

The cabbage in place of noodles is different but if you salt it a little before plating or stirring it into the dish it adds favor and takes a bit of the flavor from dish.

You can vary how cooked the cabbage gets in case you want a bit of crunch.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make great use of the wok for stir fry veg too, @Breck Lundin .
Generally with coconut oil or butter to start, then whatever veg happen to be in the fridge. A particular favourite is sliced brussels sprouts with Chinese seasoning, but I do vary the seasonings and the veg. To such an extent that it is impossible to replicate some we have enjoyed. Every meal is unique. :banghead:

Reactions: 1spuds and Guzzler

Breck Lundin

I make great use of the wok for stir fry veg too, @Breck Lundin .
Generally with coconut oil or butter to start, then whatever veg happen to be in the fridge. A particular favourite is sliced brussels sprouts with Chinese seasoning, but I do vary the seasonings and the veg. To such an extent that it is impossible to replicate some we have enjoyed. Every meal is unique. :banghead:
Hi Pipp,

I too use coconut nut and when i wanna misbehave I'll use peanut oil.

I never thought of brussel sprouts! That's genius. I usually just fry up a bit of bacon or use butter instead, add the sprouts a bit if salt, pepper and sometimes fresh garlic but my stomach doesn't handle garlic in the quantity i like it any more....Brussel sprouts are my fav veggie after lima beans (mong beans). Too many carbs in the lima beans though so only a small handful.

It's kinda fun trying yo replicate Asian dishes at home. I even bought a new range with a couple high BTU burners, with a special Wok burner grate for Woks...

I sure cut down on veggie spoilage once i started using the wok. Pretty much no veggie spoils now, 18yrs later.

They are gonna have to pry mine from me when they finally come to take me away to the Soylent factory.

Reactions: Serena51 and 1spuds

Breck Lundin

Hi Pipp,

I too use coconut nut and when i wanna misbehave I'll use peanut oil.

I never thought of brussel sprouts! That's genius. I usually just fry up a bit of bacon or use butter instead, add the sprouts a bit if salt, pepper and sometimes fresh garlic but my stomach doesn't handle garlic in the quantity i like it any more....Brussel sprouts are my fav veggie after lima beans (mong beans). Too many carbs in the lima beans though so only a small handful.

It's kinda fun trying yo replicate Asian dishes at home. I even bought a new range with a couple high BTU burners, with a special Wok burner grate for Woks...

I sure cut down on veggie spoilage once i started using the wok. Pretty much no veggie spoils now, 18yrs later.

They are gonna have to pry mine from me when they finally come to take me away to the Soylent factory.
have any spectacular failures? Successes?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really like cauliflower, chives, in butter with ginger and chilli and garlic pepper.

Reactions: 1spuds

Breck Lundin

Pipp, that's looks awesome. In fact i am going to make it tonight.

When i was a kid both mom & grandma made a dish with a bit of hamburger, chopped onions, a bit of chopped celery tops or if no fresh just a very carefully added pinch of celery, sliced mushrooms. They called it - mish-mash (we now call that Hamburger Helper). Loved it, especially the next day cold from the fridge.

They just crumbled up the hamburger drained and set aside. Sautéed up the onions, mushrooms and sometimes whatever the could grab in the fridge. To finish it was any sort of dried paste (not noodles), water the meat, seasoned got it to a boil, covered and let set until pasta had cooked. It is maybe my favorite comfort food that i can't eat now.

This dish you showed me here is a perfect substitute. Ni idea why i never made the connection it could be made with cabbage instead.

You made my day...

My maternal family is Germanic in ancestry. Many, including my Grandfather, come to the US a little before and a few years post WWI. That means some hearty artery clogging DELICIOUS food. German potato salad with all its warm tangy-ness, red cabbage with bacon, my grandma's traditional sauerkraut with pork neck bones all browned and simmered with homemade pre-prepared sauerkraut.

The secret ingredient is a simple one... pearl barley. The barley takes the bite out of that pickled cabbage turning the whole pot into this mellow, very satisfying one pot meal. They started buying ready to cook caned sauerkraut to save what otherwise took all day to prepare. served with mashed potatoes with just the proper amount if lumps.

Reactions: Serena51 and 1spuds