Stomach bug / IBS and suddenly don’t need much insulin

hellobear007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @pinewood I have the exact same issue. Hit with a stomach bug 3 weeks ago and now on 75% less insulin!

As @kitedoc says above I think it may be down to the kidney function and how they clear out insulin as was hospitalised with massive hypo and bloods came back with Acute Kidney Injury due to dehydration.

However kidney function has returned to normal yet my insulin requirements haven't.

Having bloods taken again in 3 weeks for kidney function but hoping things have resolved by then.

Hope you are feeling better by now! X

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @pinewood I have the exact same issue. Hit with a stomach bug 3 weeks ago and now on 75% less insulin!

As @kitedoc says above I think it may be down to the kidney function and how they clear out insulin as was hospitalised with massive hypo and bloods came back with Acute Kidney Injury due to dehydration.

However kidney function has returned to normal yet my insulin requirements haven't.

Having bloods taken again in 3 weeks for kidney function but hoping things have resolved by then.

Hope you are feeling better by now! X
Hi @hellobear007, I imagine your kidneys will have a bit of a backlog of things to do. They will get round to the 'excrete excess insulin' order in the 'in tray' in due course. Your BSLs will signal the commencement of the order and when the order is in the 'out tray' !!
Best Wishes and that is great news that your kidneys have recovered !!

Reactions: hellobear007