Stomach pain

OGPapi7

Recently just started taking metformin about a week ago , started it with not many side affects , this week had a sore lower stomach right at the bottom and constipated , could this be cause by metformin . I’m only taking 500mg with my dinner at night ? Any ideas or solutions ? Thanks

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin doesn't usually cause constipation, quite the opposite in fact

Ask for a pharmacists advice on recommendations to relieve your symptoms and if the issue doesn't resolve book yourself in with your GP
xx

OGPapi7

Metformin doesn't usually cause constipation, quite the opposite in fact

Ask for a pharmacists advice on recommendations to relieve your symptoms and if the issue doesn't resolve book yourself in with your GP
xx

Hi thanks for reply , yeah so I’ve read , the constipation I can deal with that’s more that likely from diet change it’s just the stomach pain and bloating , it’s more than likely all tied in together I feel

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thanks for reply , yeah so I’ve read , the constipation I can deal with that’s more that likely from diet change it’s just the stomach pain and bloating , it’s more than likely all tied in together I feel

Are you taking the regular or the slow release..?
With the regular I was housebound needing the loo all the time.
On the slow release I had constipation with an explosive finish.
My pills went in the bin needless to say.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

To be honest OGPapi - If you've made a lot of changes, between adding meds and altering your way of eating, it can just take our systems a little while to get used to it all.

Our systems like to work on a routine, and our digestions work by "preparing" digestive juices and enzymes ready for our up and coming eating/drinking, based on recent times. Once your body learns what your "new normal2 is, hopefully it'll settle down a bit.

In terms of timeframes for our systems to get with the programme? We're all different, so just stick with it, although if you are very constipated you might need to address that.

OGPapi7

Are you taking the regular or the slow release..?
With the regular I was housebound needing the loo all the time.
On the slow release I had constipation with an explosive finish.
My pills went in the bin needless to say.

Yeah I’m on slow release , thats good to know thanks