Stop and think!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Guys,

There have been some pretty personal comments, petty squabbles, rudeness, and downright bad tempers during the last few days on the forum. We all feel like that sometimes. However, in anonymous forums there are often vulnerable people - especially on a forum that deals with long-term serious illnesses such as this. Of course we will disagree with eachother sometimes; we'll want to debate and we want to prove our points. The problem is that none of us know what effect our comments are having on others. Things we write in the heat of the moment that we quickly forget can play on some people's minds. Only a couple of weeks ago, we had a young woman visit the forum looking for anything that might help her to come to terms with the suicide of her husband, one of our members. Some of our members are that vulnerable. So please, let's all stop and think about the words we're using before we press the submit button.

Smidge

A

Anonymous

I have to agree with this - the forum's become a less pleasant place the last few days.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi all,

I don't post very often, however I do read most days. I can't believe that anyone would maliciously post on here, or try to speak to children illegally.
Lets all make this a lovely place like it used to be.

Bernie
xx

Defren

I agree. I have had a quick read the last couple of day's but wouldn't post. There seems to be a lot of snide comments, digs and out and out rows and I for one am tired of it. I come here to share experiences, ask questions, learn, support and be supported. I do NOT come here to act like children in primary school. Low and Ultra low carbers referred to as 'melitia'? I am not sure I will be back if the back biting doesn't end! This forum has been a lifeline to me, now it's just a place to read and skip threads. Not really the community purpose is it?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Bernie,

Just to address a point you raised. I work in child protection. It is a shame that people would join a forum to get into inappropriate contact with children, but I'm afraid it does happen far more frequently than one would like to think. And, thanks to the vigilance of forum members, often it is stopped before harm is done.

It is sad when people get alarmed unnecessarily (not saying this has happened here) but far sadder if people are not on guard and a child is harmed.