Stopped statins to see effect on blood glucose and cholesterol

jwillyf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just come to the end of my first Libre sensor. I used to be on simvastatin with total cholesterol kept at about 5.5, but was changed to atorvastatin when I was diagnosed with Type II. Three months later, my total cholesterol was down to 3.9, but was that down to the new statin or to the low carb diet, or, perhaps, both? I am also wondering how much of my diabetes might be related to taking statins.
SO, I have decided to stop the statins, continue the diet, and monitor the blood sugar. I then need to persuade my GP to allow another cholesterol check - I didn’t discuss this with him, feeling certain he would have said to just keep on as I was. Anyway, I want to take responsibility for my own diabetes. No-one cares more about it than I do!
Somewhat empirically, I am going to occasionally finger prick for the next two weeks, and will then apply my second sensor. I am thinking to give the statins a couple of weeks to clear from the system. Only thing is, I don’t know if any effect on blood sugar from statins is reversible, and if so, how long it takes.
I am missing my Libre already but at £50 a pop......

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just come to the end of my first Libre sensor. I used to be on simvastatin with total cholesterol kept at about 5.5, but was changed to atorvastatin when I was diagnosed with Type II. Three months later, my total cholesterol was down to 3.9, but was that down to the new statin or to the low carb diet, or, perhaps, both? I am also wondering how much of my diabetes might be related to taking statins.
SO, I have decided to stop the statins, continue the diet, and monitor the blood sugar. I then need to persuade my GP to allow another cholesterol check - I didn’t discuss this with him, feeling certain he would have said to just keep on as I was. Anyway, I want to take responsibility for my own diabetes. No-one cares more about it than I do!
Somewhat empirically, I am going to occasionally finger prick for the next two weeks, and will then apply my second sensor. I am thinking to give the statins a couple of weeks to clear from the system. Only thing is, I don’t know if any effect on blood sugar from statins is reversible, and if so, how long it takes.
I am missing my Libre already but at £50 a pop......
I was on Pravostatin which increased my hba1c from 48 to 54 and caused other side effects such as sudden dizziness and disturbed sleep. When I came off them about 12 weeks later the side effects disappeared within 2 weeks and my hba1c reduced to 42 within 6 months and then to 36 6 months later.

jwillyf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was on Pravostatin which increased my hba1c from 48 to 54 and caused other side effects such as sudden dizziness and disturbed sleep. When I came off them about 12 weeks later the side effects disappeared within 2 weeks and my hba1c reduced to 42 within 6 months and then to 36 6 months later.

Those are really interesting figures, Daphne917. Do they mean you are no longer considered diabetic by your health care professionals?

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I take Atorvastatin no side effects and my last HbA1c was 42

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Those are really interesting figures, Daphne917. Do they mean you are no longer considered diabetic by your health care professionals?
My hba1c has been between 38 and 35 (last weeks result) for the last 4 years so I consider myself to be in remission however when I asked my DN about no longer being diabetic the response I got was ‘once a diabetic always a diabetic’. Interestingly a colleague of mine had an hba1c of 41 for 2 years running and was told that he had reversed his diabetes so I think it depends on what GP practice you attend and whether or not they get additional funding for diabetics.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
My hba1c has been between 38 and 35 (last weeks result) for the last 4 years so I consider myself to be in remission however when I asked my DN about no longer being diabetic the response I got was ‘once a diabetic always a diabetic’. Interestingly a colleague of mine had an hba1c of 41 for 2 years running and was told that he had reversed his diabetes so I think it depends on what GP practice you attend and whether or not they get additional funding for diabetics.

I think "cure" can be considered if you eat a high carbohydrate diet with normal HbA1c and also pass an OGTT with flying colours.

With the proviso, of course, that if the diet was what ushered in the diabetes in the first place you may..ummm...reverse your reversal.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think "cure" can be considered if you eat a high carbohydrate diet with normal HbA1c and also pass an OGTT with flying colours.

With the proviso, of course, that if the diet was what ushered in the diabetes in the first place you may..ummm...reverse your reversal.
I probably average 120g carbs per day and have never had an OGTT. The last hba1c test followed a break in Jersey in July and a cruise in October when I ate more carbs than usual. With my mother, maternal grandfather and brother all having diabetes it could have been heredity or due to the fact that I was eating ‘healthily’ ie brown rice, pasta and bread, 5-6 portions of fruit daily inc bananas and grapes, jacket potatoes and low sugar, low fat yoghurts, milk etc! It could also be a combination of both.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I probably average 120g carbs per day and have never had an OGTT. The last hba1c test followed a break in Jersey in July and a cruise in October when I ate more carbs than usual. With my mother, maternal grandfather and brother all having diabetes it could have been heredity or due to the fact that I was eating ‘healthily’ ie brown rice, pasta and bread, 5-6 portions of fruit daily inc bananas and grapes, jacket potatoes and low sugar, low fat yoghurts, milk etc! It could also be a combination of both.

Could well be a combination of the two.

I think that heredity increases your risk score, but not to 100%.
As you say, the "healthy" diet will put a strain on the pancreas, liver and other tissues if you have a hereditary tendency to Insulin Resistance. However if you by chance have followed a LCHF lifestyle which has helped may to achieve normal BG levels even with a compromised insulin system then there is a good chance you would never show diabetes symptoms.

Which prompts an interesting (to me) question. If you lived LCHF all your life, how would you tell if you had diabetes? Finger prick and HbA1c wouldn't show anything.