Stopping meds

steveo.101

Hi ..for the last 4 days i have not taken any medication and my BG levels are steady at around 5mmol....I am type 2 and taking....500mg metformin twice a day.....and one 40mg gliclazide...Is it safe to continue not taking the meds...as long as i monitor my levels continuously....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Then I'd suggest letting your HCP know that you are stopping taking them and that you are monitoring your levels closely. You might even get some more testing done on the back of it!

I'm a strong advocate of patients taking responsibility for their own health and deciding what to put in their bodies.
"Is it safe" is an unanswerable question but if you are happy with your unmedicated levels (and I would be) then I can't see a downside to your decision.

But it is of course your choice.

InkaLeo

Then I'd suggest letting your HCP know that you are stopping taking them and that you are monitoring your levels closely. You might even get some more testing done on the back of it!

I'm a strong advocate of patients taking responsibility for their own health and deciding what to put in their bodies.
"Is it safe" is an unanswerable question but if you are happy with your unmedicated levels (and I would be) then I can't see a downside to your decision.

But it is of course your choice.

You sound as if you know all about this! What does 44mmol/mol mean? Prediabetic, and about to go on the ‘Fast800’ diet to sort things out. Can I, sort things out? Do you think?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You sound as if you know all about this! What does 44mmol/mol mean? Prediabetic, and about to go on the ‘Fast800’ diet to sort things out. Can I, sort things out? Do you think?

Hi and yes 44 mmol/m means in the UK you are designated as Pre-diabetic (reading between 42 and 47 mmol/m).
Fast 800 is ok but in my view simply cutting carbs dramatically and eating in a shorter time window was how I reduced my blood sugars and I'd try that first.
For me mornings are coffees with double cream then a light meal at lunchtime then a decent dinner.
The creamy coffees keep me feeling full during the day and eating in a shorter time window (intermittent fasting) leads to fewer insulin spikes and more stable blood sugars.