Stopping Smoking

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a 44yr old Type 2 Taking 4 500mg metformin a day.

I have just started to try and quit smoking but i'm finding myself wanting to eat alot more. (and the wrong things).

Has anybody had this problem and how did they manage it.

Any help much appreciated.

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me anyway,a long time ago now I had to use an E-Cig and work my way down from the strongest nicotine strength refills down to the lowest and doing that I had no problem with eating extra or weight gain.

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me anyway,a long time ago now I had to use an E-Cig and work my way down from the strongest nicotine strength refills down to the lowest and doing that I had no problem with eating extra or weight gain.
I'm on the patches, tried E-Cig a few times in the past and didn't work for me i'm afraid

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly I had the opposite problem,wanted to make a clean break with patches but my skin couldn't take them :( Well done on making the step towards being ciggy free! :) Hope someone can advise you on the food cravings. :)

Reactions: kevkevkev

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I heard of a drug they now prescribe at the quit smoking programme at GPs practices called Champix. It gets mixed reviews so it might be worth a go. I have not tried it but plan to ask next time I'm down at the surgery.

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I heard of a drug they now prescribe at the quit smoking programme at GPs practices called Champix. It gets mixed reviews so it might be worth a go. I have not tried it but plan to ask next time I'm down at the surgery.
I've tried it. It didn't work for me. My partner and friends have quit using it. It is very good, unfortunately i was one of the unlucky 10-20% it doesn't work on :(

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I've tried it. It didn't work for me. My partner and friends have quit using it. It is very good, unfortunately i was one of the unlucky 10-20% it doesn't work on :(
I have failed on everything else too, even the ecigs. Sorry, I am out of ideas but do not stop trying to find something that may work for you and if you do manage to give up then please let us know. Good luck.

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I quit once many years ago for 7yrs, this time it has been nearly 15yrs so far. first time there were no aids available so it was cold turkey, this time I used patches but both times I had the problems you are asking about, sorry to say that I have`nt heard of anything that will help except that you are obviously possessed of a large amount of willpower and you may just have to try and stretch it a bit further! I wish you all the very best in your challenging but totally worthwhile endeavour ! Chris.

hooose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Me and my lass had hypnosis 13 yr ago and stopped after 1 session. I worked 12 hr shifts for nearly 20 yr and was a chain smoker from the minute i woke up until i turned the bedroom light off, tried loads of times to kick it but i couldnt do it. Best £80 i ever spent , no issues with eating as a replacement either

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
I am a 44yr old Type 2 Taking 4 500mg metformin a day.

I have just started to try and quit smoking but i'm finding myself wanting to eat alot more. (and the wrong things).

Has anybody had this problem and how did they manage it.

Any help much appreciated.
Smoking raises your blood sugar

If you have diabetes, you have to work hard enough already to keep your blood sugar in check. Smoking can make that task even more difficult. Smoking may make your body more resistant to insulin, which can lead to higher blood sugar levels

https://www.healthline.com/health/type-2-diabetes/smoking-diabetes#blood-sugar

All to say, I believe when you quit smoking, you eat not only for something to do but to bump up your blood sugar (I did anyhow). Gaining weight is part of the process of quitting and doctors usually prefer weight gain to smoking as you can lose the weight later. I would suggest you keep to low carb foods.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am in the throes of attempting to stop. I can't do it cold turkey, and am trying to avoid the nicotine for other medical reasons rather than the other nasty stuff, so I do not want any nicotine replacements. I am doing it my way. I dropped from about 18 a day to under 10 and am now attempting under 5. When I light one I take far fewer puffs and put it out halfway down (if I remember, which I don't always and then tell myself off) This is my way of gradual withdrawal. The cravings are a lot less now, and a cup of tea usually solves this. I certainly haven't felt the need to eat. I have been a smoker for over 50 years but rarely more than 20 a day.

Reactions: chri5

kevkevkev

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in the throes of attempting to stop. I can't do it cold turkey, and am trying to avoid the nicotine for other medical reasons rather than the other nasty stuff, so I do not want any nicotine replacements. I am doing it my way. I dropped from about 18 a day to under 10 and am now attempting under 5. When I light one I take far fewer puffs and put it out halfway down (if I remember, which I don't always and then tell myself off) This is my way of gradual withdrawal. The cravings are a lot less now, and a cup of tea usually solves this. I certainly haven't felt the need to eat. I have been a smoker for over 50 years but rarely more than 20 a day.
I've tried this also but i always slipped back to my 15 a day eventually. Good luck with your attempt.
If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had Diabetes?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried this also but i always slipped back to my 15 a day eventually. Good luck with your attempt.
If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had Diabetes?

I was diagnosed 4 years ago, almost to the day.

I also wish you good luck with your attempt.

I've just remembered something from my past when I actually stopped for 2 or 3 months. I bought a baby's dummy and sucked that. Not very glamorous, but it did work.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....

I used champix about 12 years ago.
It cuts off the craving sensation in your brain but but but you have to want to give up and not just expect it to happen.
Its expensive so will only be prescribed once.
It worked for me and my wife and we did it together which helped.
My wife put on weight but I didn't.

Hope this helps and I wish all smokers trying to give up the very best of luck.

Tony

Reactions: Guzzler

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I wanted to try champix but am unable to use it because of the bipolar meds I am on

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have replaced my smoking habit with an e-cig, I know I'm still feeding my nicotine addiction but no longer feel breathless when taking my border collie for his daily walk up in the Brecon Beacons.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thumbs up for trying to quit! I can't give you advise, wish I knew how to quit. I have experience quitting heroin and basecoke many years ago, but cigarets are something different.

cristis

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I quit smoking three years ago, after 25 years of cigarettes. All good, except I started to drink more and eat more sugar. Just few days ago I started to get rid as well of these new addictions.

So just be aware there is indeed a high risk to replace an addiction with another. What I would strongly advise is to start exercising a lot, way more than before, to keep your mind and body exhausted and occupied with something else. Drink a lot of fluid too (water or tea).

You need a change of lifestyle as well. Just replacing the cigarette with more food, drinks, drugs, cakes or something else (also unhealthy) is not enough.

Reactions: LouWilk059