Stopping Smoking

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
I stopped with the cigarettes 30 months ago before I was diagnosed with type 2, I would be in a right mess now if I had not, as It would be Diet and smoking to deal with, I tried the full NHS arsenal of potions, pills and patches and every one failed. I had Zyban and had horrible side effects, headaches, muscle pain and depression. 30 months ago, I saw an ad for an E-Cig which got me thinking, I had seen them before but just passed them off as a gimmick, but I thought to myself hey what the heck I have tried everything else so give it a shot. 3 days later it arrived, and the first time I used it I thought the Holy Grail at last something that I know will work as it gives you that hit in the throat all us smokers miss. I have never touched another cigarette since and while I did have the odd moment of feeling like a cigarette I never gave in. I still use it, but on 5mg of nicotine now and mainly for the flavours I put in, I can have the taste of apple pie and many other flavors, but not the Sugars, and at least I am not sucking in the other 4000+ Carcinogens.
I would suggest you read up on them as I did and form your own opinion. They are not marketed as a cessation product for various legal wrangling s with MRSA and FDA because they claim they have not been clinically tested. and Good Luck.

A

Anonymous

Very anti ex smoker here. I am five years free of that addiction, and smoked for 36 years. I used to get through 50 a day :shock: Champix wasn`t being used in Wales when I gave up, so I used patches, inhalator, gum, lozenges. I did have a big habit. Good luck dave. You can do it!

alison m

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
cruelty to any animal or human, not being able to eat sausage rolls and pies any more,
I started taking champix when I was first diagnosed T2, I have been smoke free now for 18 days, I know its not a long time but to be honest I don't really miss them that much, occasionally have the urge but its not a craving, I never thought I would be able to give up on my own hence the champix, it really does work, so good luck to any one taking it.
:clap:

Defren

alison m said:
I started taking champix when I was first diagnosed T2, I have been smoke free now for 18 days, I know its not a long time but to be honest I don't really miss them that much, occasionally have the urge but its not a craving, I never thought I would be able to give up on my own hence the champix, it really does work, so good luck to any one taking it.
:clap:

My friend quit using champix. She quit about 14 - 15 months ago now. I'm just glad I didn't ever start!

Gordo101a

I gave up just over 2 years ago after smoking for 20 years at the end I was smoking 40 a day, due to health and nagging. I used drug option, and it worked. But they should warn people about your sense of smell improving and that not all smells are good....

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I quit after being on 50 a day using Nicorette gum and never had one since. It can give you some digestive problems, but I think it's worth it. I stayed on the gum for a very long time just in case I went back as I had many times before. 26 years ago now :clap:

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I run a business selling electronic cigarettes and always try to speak to my online customers directly.

The feedback from most of them who have previously tried and failed using chewing gum, patches, etc is that they prefer the electronic cigarette because it allows then to continue the smoking ritual or habit (putting the device into their mouths and inhaling).

Also, from my perspective, one reason people succeed with e cigs where they may previously have failed with nicotine replacement therapy is the nicotine dosage. In chewing gum and patches its very small - only 2 mg or less - whereas a medium strength e cig is 12 mg and a high strength is 18 mg of nicotine. At this level the user can easily satisfy their nicotine craving after just one or two "puffs"