1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Storing Insulin Home And Away From Home

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by nikobasi, Jul 16, 2018.

1. nikobasi

nikobasi Type 1 · Member

Hello, I went out for hours and I took the insulin with me(lantus+novorapid) stored in my bag. At home, I store opened insulins in the refrigerator. Will this change in temperature decrease insulin quality? Also is it possible the decreased quality of insulin due to temperature change can increase insulin action causing hypos or it can only cause hyperglycemia?

2. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Opened insulin’s do not need to be stored in the fridge. In higher temperatures I always have mine in a Frio pouch. The UK weather at the moment has required an almost consistent pouch use. In normal weather they are just thrown in my bag.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook