Strange coffee effect and meal scheduling. Libre.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm using a Libre for a couple of weeks.
First a grumble; for the first couple of days it seemed spot on but now it is consistently reading over 1.0 mmol/L low. So I am allegedly having hypos when my finger prick shows over 5.

I have posted in the past about an unexpected effect of my morning coffee/cream/butter apparently giving me a BG spike, more so if I go out cycling straight after the coffee. The spike comes back down somewhere past noon.

Today I fasted all morning and went cycling (although not far and fast). BG rose a little but was mainly flat.
I had my coffee when I got back and didn't see a spike at all. Possibly a little blip straight after the coffee but a steady downwards trend. So it seems to be morning not the coffee as such.

A couple of days ago I delayed my evening meal until after my evening Yoga class. Not good to do Yoga on a full stomach and I missed my early meal time for that day. So I had stir fried vegetables and tinned tuna at around 22:00. No BG spike, but steady BG all night with no sign of DP. Go figure.

Last night we went round to friends for a meal. A bit of a raise in BG but not above about 8, then again a steady BG all night with a brief reverse spike around 06:00 where my BG went down below 3 (but remember the sensor is under reading) then came straight back up to the previous level. Go figure again.

So the standard mantra of starting the day with a hit of fat, and eating OMAD mid afternoon to give your body time to process the meal before bed seems to be the absolute opposite of what works for me at the moment.

Fast until early afternoon, then bullet resistant coffee, then OMAD after 19:00 seems to be working. This is just a couple of days so far but it does seem to go against the standard advice.

I will try eating other things first thing in the morning, eggs and/or cheese perhaps, to see what that does.

I may try eating earlier with just a small snack before bedtime.

However without the Libre to show me trends I wouldn't know that any of this was going on, especially what happens overnight.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
This could be a "compression low".
If pressure is applied to the sensor (e.g. lying on it when asleep ) it will record low.

Yes, I did wonder.

As usual, every day is different.
Ate later last night, BG stable overnight, DP kicked off around 09:00 before any exercise, and climbed steadily during the morning fasted cycle ride.
Over the top and back down after noon.
Now having BR coffee but I don't expect that to spike me.

The inconsistency is driving me up the wall!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it shows us what we already know, the body has a pinpoint, intricate way of dealing with things internally and there is NO way we can hope to mimic what it does for us on a second by second basis. We can only do our best to assist it. I've given up looking for reasons why it did one thing one day and something else the next or why it reacted differently to a seemingly identical scenario. If I can keep it all within range I am happy. x