Strips and testing

Tanmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The strips you get off the doctor are terrible takes about 6 attempts each time and waste of strips gre

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It gets easier with practice.

You need to ensure enough blood for a good test or the strip is indeed wasted. You may need to set your lancing device deeper.

What type of meter/strips are you using?

D

Deleted Account

I have had my meter for years and most of the time I have no problem with my strips: as long as I get enough blood on the strips and my meter is warm enough, I get results. They may not be the results I want, but my meter tells me my BG.
However, a few years ago, my meter and I had a falling out: many many of my strips reported an error. I tried a new packet of strips and the same happened. I tried the closest I could think of in terms of switching it on and off: taking the batteries out and putting them back in: and it still didn't seem to like the strips.
Finally, I changed the batteries in my meter. After days of cursing the strips, I realised it was just a power problem in my meter and we have been friends ever since ... as long as I remember to change the batteries.

Your situation may not be the same but, from my experience and frustration, I would recommend giving it a go if it is possible.

If that doesn't work, try a new batch of test strips.
If that doesn't work, most meters come with a warranty (if you remember to return the registration card) and the manufacturers are pretty good at replacing them if they are faulty.

Reactions: Aly67

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The strips you get off the doctor are terrible takes about 6 attempts each time and waste of strips gre

Tanmc - All the meters and strips used in the UK meet the same qualifying criteria.

I'm wondering if there's something specific you are struggling with, because of everyone prescribed that meter and strips was wasting several strips before getting a reading, I'm sure the meter wouldn't be prescribed any longer.

If you could let us know what issues you are having, or what the error messages you see are, then we could maybe help.

There are some tips and a video on this page that might help a bit. Apologies if this is old news for you:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/how-to-test-blood-glucose-levels.html

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I normally get a new blood meter and then call my doctor's to tell them what I need from them and they normally do as I say and I don't get any questions asked and I get them straight away and I am using a contour next one meter and contour next test strips and I also get the Lancet's for them to and I have gotten them for well over three years now and I have checked how much they are and the NHS trust I'm at just let me have them due to having type 2 diabetes and I am on insulin and the first time I used it I used a couple of strips but now it is a doddle and I don't waste any strips and if I used a accu-chek meter I was going through the strips like tea as it was useless and I am happy with the contour as I use it with the app and it is easy to send the results over to the dsn and they can have a look at it and advise if you need to change your medication or stay with what you are taking as I am and I know that some of my results go high but they do go down during the day