Striving to defy the odds

brighty14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone I am new to the forum but just wanted to share my experience briefly with sport and diabetes.

I've had diabetes for 17 years and have always wanted to prove that diabetes isn't a barrier to what I could achieve. (As I'm sure we all do!)

I've played football for as long as I can remember and probably got to as high as I could without making it professionally. Ive played at a county level and semi professionally but I think diabetes always found a way of scuppering me at those big moments where I had trials for the big pro teams. I remember with all the emotions of trials that I actually caused my levels to shoot through the roof and I felt like I was treading water while I was out there!

I never gave up playing the game once the dream of being a pro diminished and in the end found a game called futsal (indoor football essentially! )
After all the years of learning how football affected my diabetes I'd found the transition more difficult to this "new style" of football. It suited how I played the game more but it was more difficult to manage due to the intensity of the game being very different. Levels were far higher! Shorter and sharper. It changed the way I had to manage my diabetes but after a year of learning through trial and error I managed to get my levels to a place each week which allowed me to play to the best of my ability.

2 years later and at 26 years old I received a call up to the Wales futsal squad to play Latvia.

I'm now preparing to compete at the highest level in my sport and on a level I dreamt of getting to.

My message is simple..... I'm no superhero or fluke. I just worked hard and stayed positive. I ensured that diabetes was just a small hurdle and not a mountain to climb.

Always stay positive and believe..... learn from your mistakes, try things out and stick to the things that work for you.

I used my Diabetes to drive me harder to achieve....

I defied the odds we have against us as type 1 diabetics. We can all do it!

Hope it was a useful read.

Chris

9cab23f1e0688145e66d1e653faf6e69.jpg

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
great post @brighty14
welcome to the forum.:)

I always wanted to be a footballer but at my diagnosis in 1972 I struggled to play competitive matches at different times of the day on a single injection per day. ( forever going hypo mid match -- LOL )

I did keep playing as an amateur until age 46 ( 5 a side ) until a broken wrist sort of put me on the sidelines........

you will do us all proud -- !!!!!
go wales !!!!!!! ( I live near Mold in north wales )

Reactions: Snapsy and ickihun

brighty14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks.

No doubt the improvements in the insulin regimes have helped !
1 injection a day sounds tough! Controlling that with sport must've been tough!

I hope I do ! For Wales and type 1 diabetics all over! I was near mold with the squad last week ! (We get together in queens ferry)

Reactions: himtoo
D

Deleted member 308541

you will do us all proud -- !!!!!
go wales !!!!!!! ( I live near Mold in north wales )
We will now all sing "Men Of Harlech" Cardiff Arms Park style,

Sorry I could not find a clip from the footy.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
LOL -- played many times on the outdoor 5 a side pitches in Queensferry and the indoor in Connahs Quay!!

let us know when there are matches on in north wales ( if any)-- I would like to come and watch !!!

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well done Chris , I played rugby union for 29 years starting at 11 and retiring at 40, captaining the youth and senior teams and playing for the county, being diabetic since I was 7 years old I also found it made me want to be as good if not better than anyone else, good luck to you.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @brighty14 , whilst I was never a footballer (it's more like I have no feet than two left ones), I've won a National title in Tae Kwon Do, so as you say, anything is possible!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@brighty14 and all the other posters above - I am so inspired reading this!

I have allowed my diabetes to be a barrier - until around a year ago when I decided it was time to get active and DO something!

I now have fitness goals, and it's a brilliant and fun journey. I've had to take two months off exercise as I've been poorly, but I'm back on track and getting started, and this thread has given me hope and inspiration and drive.

THANK YOU.

:happy:

brighty14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Snapsy so glad you found it inspiring I could talk for days about the journey and the difficulties I've faced! As I'm sure so many others could!

Nothing's impossible.

Keep up with the exercise! In my opinion it's one of the best things to support bg control alongside your medication.

Reactions: himtoo and Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@brighty14 it's just what I wanted to hear. In the last year I went from zero to being able to swim 800m non stop, and running 5km in 28:18min (oh the fabulous thing of parkrun) and was all set to ramp up training and doing some local 5k running events, cross country runs and was even planning a 10k in November.....!

Put all that on hold when I was ill, and I'm stunned to see how far back I've landed.

But I'm back up and running - actually not quite running - with my first swim this morning, and some fun bike rides in the last week - I hope it won't be very long before I regain my strength and fitness.

Oh, and you said you're 'no superhero'. Well actually you've inspired me hugely - okay, so I'm not going to be playing international football, but I can now see myself back in my running gear again.

Thank you!

:)

brighty14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Snapsy amazing! Put a smile on my face today.

I've faced injuries and set backs with illness in just the same way you're dealing with right now..... keep up the training. Don't push too hard too soon. You will get there!

Most of all enjoy it! Set those goals again and make them happen.... it's all achievable!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What a great post Chris, very well done on what you've achieved and good luck with the Wales Futsal Team :)

ps, your far too young to remember but there was a professional football player called Gary Mabutt who had type 1 diabetes, I remember him playing for Spurs and like you he was inspiring to those who have type 1.

Reactions: Snapsy

brighty14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @noblehead !

I never saw him play but I knew all about him. He was a man that inspired me to believe......

Sir Steve Redgrave and Gary Mabutt were the guys who drove me to believe that it wasn't a barrier, merely a small obstacle!

brighty14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2dd4a979d325e240b73b26e0eeb581da.jpg

Amazing to win my first cap for Wales today. Immensely proud day and it just shows again we can all do it!

Defy the odds. Don't let diabetes hold you back.

brighty14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
81c32a6cd2d740344f20e663a97ca698.jpg

Delighted to be called back into the squad for the first ever home nations tournament for futsal. Huge for the sport in the and something I can't wait to be a part of.
2nd-4th December.

Reactions: Granny_grump_