Stroke risk

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Diabetes is an independent risk factor for stroke. Many people with diabetes also have high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol and are overweight. This increases their risk even more. While diabetes is treatable, the presence of the disease still increases your risk of stroke.

rogervansteeden

The reason i asked is because the singer Luther Vandross was a diabetic and he died on the 1st July 2005 and suffered a severe stroke in 2003,however his cause of death is unknown his diabetes was hereditary i found this info in Wikipedia he was 54 same age as me

rogervansteeden

Well i have lost 21lb without trying my hba1c was 10.8 last time i went to my Doctor and i am having another blood test tomorrow 14th April for Hba1c,thyroid function,fasting ipids,hdl/ldl.My octor was very concerned that because i wasnt taking my thyroxine was 42 and it ahould be 2 and it could have sent me mad (myxedama) i,ll probably have to build up my medication currently 50mcg yp to previous 225mcg.The problem is that i worry about every little thing Sarah, and didnt realise at the time the risks i was taking by stopping all my meds

Eleanor

At my GP practice they ask all diabetics to take a low dose aspirin and a statin to reduce the risk of a stroke as it is increased for diabetics. I thought they were caring but my husband heard on the radio that GPs who meet the criteria for the treatment of diabetics receive a payment of several thousand pounds per doctor. That sounds a more likely reason! Whatever, I am glad to have the meds. I can tell it is working as before if I cut myself or got a scratch it would hardly bleed whereas now it bleeds a bit more. Obviously my blood is getting around a lot better. I used to be a platelet donor and they only accept people who have far more platelets than they need. I was pleased to be able to donate but I was always slightly concerned that my blood might be a bit "sticky". Plus my Dad died aged 43 form a series of heart problems so I felt at extra risk.