Strong Smell To Urine

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve noticed when I eat protein such as eggs, chicken, fish and cheese my urine has a really, really, strong and unpleasant odour afterwards, my urine is also quite foamy. I’ve read that this could point to protein in the urine or kidney/liver problems, but my latest blood tests at the diabetes clinic didn’t indicate any problems. I’ve followed a low carb diet since diagnosis seven years ago and had eaten more protein initially than I do now without any odour in my urine. Should I be concerned about this and ask for more tests at my GPs?

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
No UTI, my urine is clear, not cloudy and I drink a lot of water, so I don’t think I’m dehydrated. What were your symptoms when you were having kidney problems?

Sirzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, it might be an idea to get a urine test done at my GPS. Was your urine dark or cloudy? Mine’s clear to light coloured, I always thought it would be dark if there were problems with my kidneys.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was very tied, uncomfortable rather than pain, strong urine that stained clothing.
Didn't really think anything was really wrong until a urine test came back with Poor Kidney Function results. I had to drink extra water, cut out / down Salt (I only used Low Sodium anyway, but reduced it further). I have 25% less salt Beans, Soup, Sauces and Gravy Mix. Cut down on Ready Made Foods. Watch the Potassium (no bananas). Red Meats are worse than Poultry. Grapefruit is again not recommended. Cut out all alcohol for 2 months and now only have the occasional drink (although I did not drink alcohol every week anyway)
My last Kidney Function Test was very good, but have been warned not to slip back.

I would still recommend a Test just to be sure whats happening.
If you are trying to avoid potassium then note that low sodium salt replaces the sodium with potassium and is not recommended if you have kidney problems.