Struck off GPs list - Scotland. Sorry v.long.

Loukay1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wondered if anybody could advise? My mum has need taken off her gp list because of missing appointments (she is in recovery from breast cancer after having a mastectomy & has at least another 10 health complaints, some of which have been caused by the aggressive chemotherapy & radiotherapy she has endured!)
I do agree that gp & any other medical service is stretched, but a couple of the missed appointments where when she had been rushed into hospital & needed emergency surgery, I wrote to the practice manager at her surgery (she was never available on the phone or for an appointment) ensuring her, that as being her carer I would take full responsibility for my mums appointments and adhere to any conditions she put in place if she was no allow her back on it practice list.
I received a blunt no in reply.
My mum does not want to join another practice yet but are her old practice obligationed to provide her with her medication? Or where will she get her medication from?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Wondered if anybody could advise? My mum has need taken off her gp list because of missing appointments (she is in recovery from breast cancer after having a mastectomy & has at least another 10 health complaints, some of which have been caused by the aggressive chemotherapy & radiotherapy she has endured!)
I do agree that gp & any other medical service is stretched, but a couple of the missed appointments where when she had been rushed into hospital & needed emergency surgery, I wrote to the practice manager at her surgery (she was never available on the phone or for an appointment) ensuring her, that as being her carer I would take full responsibility for my mums appointments and adhere to any conditions she put in place if she was no allow her back on it practice list.
I received a blunt no in reply.
My mum does not want to join another practice yet but are her old practice obligationed to provide her with her medication? Or where will she get her medication from?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Sent from my SM-G930F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
Hi Loukay1 So sorry to here of your mums illness it must be such a worry for both of you without the added worry of where do you get her meds.from, I do hope someone on here can help you with some advice and help hopefully there will be. Just a thought if your mum is still seeing a consultant or anyone at the hospital you could enquire there for help on how to get her medication. But surely there is a medical tribunal you could write to about her practices outright refusal to listen to you,do hope you can get the hospital to advise you on where you can get the help you need. Kathleen

Last edited:
Reactions: Loukay1

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
In England patients are usually given a 30 day notice to find an alternative practice during which time her current practice would still see her and issue prescriptions. In England you can appeal to NHS England if you feel that you have been removed from a list unfairly but to be honest they will have the evidence to show that the relationship had broken down as she failed to attend booked appointments. Not sure if Scotland is the same but my guess is that it is similar. I would advise her to start again with a new practice and to register with them ASAP as it can take a while for any paper records to catch up when a patient moves practice.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Sorry about your mother.
I know in England, quite a few surgeries say if patients miss 3 booked appointments then they will be removed from their practice. My surgery does this, I have been with my surgery 15 years and that rule has always been there since I joined.
Please find your mother another practice ASAP

Reactions: Loukay1