Structured Education day courses

Sparklygal

About a week ago I got an invitation from my diabetes team inviting me on a structured education programme. I'd been referred about 18 months ago and forgot all about it. I decided I wasn't going to go as I felt we'd probably be talked to as if we were imbeciles and likely be told to fill up on carbohydrates. I got another letter today saying i'd not responded (I'd assumed you only rang them to book your place) and now I am wondering if maybe I should give it a chance? :?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Sparklygirl!

I think you should give it a go. You don't have to follow their advice if you don't think it suits you, but you might learn some interesting things and meet some people in the same situation. What can you lose?

Smidge

donnac1968

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had type 1 for 25 years and as far as I'm concerned I'm a complete expert on "my" condition. But I am going along to a half day course in a couple of weeks, probably just to tut and roll my eyes a lot!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :crazy: :crazy: :twisted: :lol:

BeccaJaneStClair

I wasn't going to go to the Spotlight sessions because I felt like I had learned everything I needed already, but I learned thins at both sessions and at both sessions, the dietician and nurse made an effort to speak to me privately about pregnancy....something my GP and practice nurse hadn't gone into detail about (the said "yes, try", but the nurse said "go to the clinic at the hospital first").

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
It really should be an individual choice. The DESMOND course was mentioned to me at diagnosis but there was no possibility I could go as I was a full time care for my daughter.

After reading all the info on this site I am quite glad I didn't but only because I have got most of the information I need. Not to mention the fact that I would feel obliged to put my tuppenceworth in about dietary advice that I perceive as faulty and irreseponsible! :lol:

I am a firm believer in finding out all you reasonably can about your condition and then making your own choices - we can't really agree or disagree unless we have armed ourselves with all the info at our disposal. You may take something useful away from the course, other bits maybe less so. Why not give it a go and see what you think?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained and all that. :)