Struggling to get control

steveo4

I have recently started a new job that involves doing shift work and finding it really hard to get good control of my levels. How do people manage when doing shift work when they don't know how strenuous the work can be?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @steveo4 Unfortunately it's trial and error, but as your on a pump you can set up a basal setting to cover the period whilst your working, if it were me and the work was strenuous then i'd set up a duplicate basal pattern on my pump and reduce basal profile by around 25%, and go from there and tweak up if doing a sedentary role, like anything it will require tweaking and it's never going to be perfect.

What is the work and what's happening to your levels ?

steveo4

I'm a school caretaker and never know how strenuous the day is going to be from one day to the next.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
That's a bit trial and error then, as you know t1d likes steady and predictable, throw a curve ball and it can misbehave. You can always start with a reduced basal pattern and then correct to suit the day's events, as long as you can see if there's a potential low coming and can treat in time, it's probably best to leave levels slightly higher.

Reactions: steveo4

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @steveo4 Unfortunately it's trial and error, but as your on a pump you can set up a basal setting to cover the period whilst your working, if it were me and the work was strenuous then i'd set up a duplicate basal pattern on my pump and reduce basal profile by around 25%, and go from there and tweak up if doing a sedentary role, like anything it will require tweaking and it's never going to be perfect.

What is the work and what's happening to your levels ?

In the early days of having a pump thought temporary basal rates were only to be used in extreme situations, like a 10k run, but now I use them several days a week. Having the confidence to use them is important for getting the most out of the pump.

Reactions: Juicyj