Type 2 Struggling to get my Sugar under control

phits

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I have been diagnosed with Type 2 for over 15 years. Over that time my HBA1c readings have steadily increased, and have been over 100 for the last 5 years. To be completely honest I have not tried very hard to get things under control, and have eaten bread, Weetabix, porridge, potatoes etc. I decided that it was time to get it under control, so started the low carb program. Initially I did see a reduction in my levels, dropping from my previous readings of 16 - 18 in the morning to 10-12. I also started to lose weight, dropping from 110Kg to 107 in around 2 weeks. I then caught a stomach bug, and my readings went up and up. I didn't eat for 36 hours, but my blood sugar went up to 18. At that point I was completely frustrated, and didn't know what to do to get it down. I was drinking water, and in the end decided to just eat a more balanced diet rather than ultra low carb. I am currently having a fasting reading of 14, and have not had anything below 10 in the morning. Often my lowest sugar level is before evening meal after I have exercised, when it can sometimes be 8. When I look on this website, I see people saying that their sugar is elevated if it is 6.3. I would be happy to have a fasting level below 10.

I take 1g metformin twice a day. Alogliptin once a day, 14 units of insulin in the morning and 24 at night.

Not really a question, but I would be interested to hear if anyone can shed any light on what I am doing wrong!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I have been diagnosed with Type 2 for over 15 years. Over that time my HBA1c readings have steadily increased, and have been over 100 for the last 5 years. To be completely honest I have not tried very hard to get things under control, and have eaten bread, Weetabix, porridge, potatoes etc. I decided that it was time to get it under control, so started the low carb program. Initially I did see a reduction in my levels, dropping from my previous readings of 16 - 18 in the morning to 10-12. I also started to lose weight, dropping from 110Kg to 107 in around 2 weeks. I then caught a stomach bug, and my readings went up and up. I didn't eat for 36 hours, but my blood sugar went up to 18. At that point I was completely frustrated, and didn't know what to do to get it down. I was drinking water, and in the end decided to just eat a more balanced diet rather than ultra low carb. I am currently having a fasting reading of 14, and have not had anything below 10 in the morning. Often my lowest sugar level is before evening meal after I have exercised, when it can sometimes be 8. When I look on this website, I see people saying that their sugar is elevated if it is 6.3. I would be happy to have a fasting level below 10.

I take 1g metformin twice a day. Alogliptin once a day, 14 units of insulin in the morning and 24 at night.

Not really a question, but I would be interested to hear if anyone can shed any light on what I am doing wrong!

Hello phits, when was your tummy bug, and has that subsided now? Being unwell can wreak havoc with our blood glucose scores, depending on the underlying problem.

We you doing the Low Carb Programme, or we're you eating a low carb diet? I know that sounds pedantic, but on that's score, I'm just wondering.

Metabolism_Boss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reality TV shows. Celebrities that are famous for being famous
Stomach bugs are notorius for causing high blood glucose. Also, when you are recovering from it, about the only thing you can eat is simple carbohydrate. Please try again now that you are over the bug. It does take time to reduce blood glucose readings consistently and other things may cause spikes as well as food - strong emotions, exercise and infections. Losing weight will also help, especially if you tend to put weight on around your middle. It has taken me three years to get my HbA1C to anywhere near normal and I am a TOFI (Thin Outside, Fat Inside). I have found it tough, but what is the alternative? I have "unglued " my muscles, have normal feeling in my feet again and reversed early signs of retinopathy. It really is worth the effort and the more you progress, the more you can do. I do amounts and degrees of exercise that would have given me the vapours when I started. My diet has changed out of all recognition - I hated greens and now they are the mainstay of my diet, I have got to like them.

This is all about you and how much progress you can make, as long as your figures are going the right way, does it matter how long it takes you? You will find lots of support here, and I wish you well on your journey to get on top of your diabetes.

Reactions: phits

phits

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello phits, when was your tummy bug, and has that subsided now? Being unwell can wreak havoc with our blood glucose scores, depending on the underlying problem.

We you doing the Low Carb Programme, or we're you eating a low carb diet? I know that sounds pedantic, but on that's score, I'm just wondering.

Hi Thanks for the reply. It was about four weeks ago now. I am back to full strength and on the wagon. I have been trying to do the low carb program but I can't say I have been on it 100%.

phits

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Stomach bugs are notorius for causing high blood glucose. Also, when you are recovering from it, about the only thing you can eat is simple carbohydrate. Please try again now that you are over the bug. It does take time to reduce blood glucose readings consistently and other things may cause spikes as well as food - strong emotions, exercise and infections. Losing weight will also help, especially if you tend to put weight on around your middle. It has taken me three years to get my HbA1C to anywhere near normal and I am a TOFI (Thin Outside, Fat Inside). I have found it tough, but what is the alternative? I have "unglued " my muscles, have normal feeling in my feet again and reversed early signs of retinopathy. It really is worth the effort and the more you progress, the more you can do. I do amounts and degrees of exercise that would have given me the vapours when I started. My diet has changed out of all recognition - I hated greens and now they are the mainstay of my diet, I have got to like them.

This is all about you and how much progress you can make, as long as your figures are going the right way, does it matter how long it takes you? You will find lots of support here, and I wish you well on your journey to get on top of your diabetes.

Hi Thanks for taking the time to reply. My diet has changed a lot, and greens are featuring a lot more. I haven't had anything that would be considered high carb such as bread, potato, pasta, pastry etc, but I do still eat carrots, peas and sweet potato. I have heard that these should be avoided too. I am reassured to hear that it can take time to bring readings down, so will continue to try. I think I was just frustrated that having put in so much effort the results were disappointing.

Sangre

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Try paleo/Keto at 50 grams carbs or less per day. Time your exercise to the time of day your postprandial blood sugars are the highest. It worked for me. I’m off januvia and metformin was cut in half. Good luck!

phits

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks again for the kind replies. To give an update, I am really grateful for the encouragement, and it helped me stay on track. I tried to increase my exercise, and it seems that it has worked. My sugar levels have been dropping. I got my first sub 10 reading on Saturday, and today got to 5.9 before lunch! I am so pleased that I am finally seeing the levels I am striving for, and thank you again for helping me stay on track.