Struggling with being hungry [emoji30]

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I don't think you are doing anything Wrong @Terryrhino! A little different that's all. Your last post seems to be inline with LCHF diet, If you do as you say and leave the bread, rock cakes, and fruit bread along with the porridge and sliced bread you will probably no longer feel hungry. Have some coffee with cream as a treat...or even as your breakfast. Have a look at Dietdoctor for some recipes too. Good luck :)

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think you are doing anything Wrong @Terryrhino! A little different that's all. Your last post seems to be inline with LCHF diet, If you do as you say and leave the bread, rock cakes, and fruit bread along with the porridge and sliced bread you will probably no longer feel hungry. Have some coffee with cream as a treat...or even as your breakfast. Have a look at Dietdoctor for some recipes too. Good luck :)

Ha ha rock cakes oops it seemed like such a good idea at the time but I will be cutting those bad things out perhaps it was more a slip off the wagon rather than a fall due to giving up smoking 6 months ago and then having to give up beer and cider and all the false happiness of carbs it just took its toll !!! thanks for the help and encouragement

Reactions: Petrel

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Ha ha rock cakes oops it seemed like such a good idea at the time but I will be cutting those bad things out perhaps it was more a slip off the wagon rather than a fall due to giving up smoking 6 months ago and then having to give up beer and cider and all the false happiness of carbs it just took its toll !!! thanks for the help and encouragement
If you feel like slipping have a coffee with cream. Yummy! :)

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree with Ellagy you're not really doing anything wrong as such- you've got a good attitude and you're looking for ways to control your diabetes, so you're on the right track. I'm quite new to diabetes myself, and it's definitely a fact that different things affect people different ways, so don't take what I say as Gospel, but if it were me, I'd say the core of your diet looks OK, but there's still quite a lot of bread and rice. Then if you factor in rock cakes and malt loaf, I reckon that would put me sky high. I think sweet potatoes might be pretty bad too, then carrots and peas are quite carby, and then last up, if you have milk in your porridge, that might raise you too. I don't know about squash, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's quite rich. I don't eat any root vegetable, any fruit or dairy, or anything that grows on a vine like pumpkins or melons. Apart from that, I could only guess it might be volume of calories, or that you're drinking something that raises it. Anyway, see what the others on the forum say and try and find out what works for you.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Terryrhino You are not doing anything wrong, you are headed in the right direction, and have found the bumps along the road. It's is not unique to you, and you will overcome them. I used to eat porridge, as it is slow release and quite filling, but my meter says no!. Breakfast for me is either yogurt, a fry-up, frattati or kippers, and quite often I take a leaf out of @bulkbiker book and don't bother with breakfast. In fact the longer I go through the day without food, the less I crave it. I think you are doing remarkably well is a short space of time.
As you go through your Diabetes journey you will discover that this is a journey without a destination

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If you consider the shaky feeling a treat, go ahead an eat it. Haha. Not meaning to be sarcastic. It's all a learning curve.

From my experience every time I spiked my insulin, even if bs was good, I got hungry. Obviously carbs spike insulin but protein does too. It just spikes bs lower and slower than carbs. Fat is basically neutral and barely spikes insulin but lowers and slowers a spike which is why it's Important to include some fat whenever you eat, including snacks.

I had the same thing going on as you. Then I read the Rosedale diet and what changed everything for my ravenous hunger as well as my bs was lowering my protein to no more than 3 ounces at a time and spacing protein 4 hours apart. Eating lots of above ground veggies and some healthy fats until satisfied. If you keep eating you will keep spiking your insulin and it will never come back to baseline hence the 4 hours between protein meals. If you need a snack it has to be mostly fat like a few nuts or some avocado. Maybe some low carb veggies and a fatty dip.
My mantra is vlc, carbs from above ground veggies only, MODERATE protein and healthy fats to satisfy. Of course you can do as you wish but this really helped me ditch the hunger

Do you like avocado/guacamole? Best food ever for bs and hunger.

Reactions: Petrel

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will be cutting out the porridge from now in maybe try eggs instead
I think i am subconsciously worried about eating to much fat as I'm also trying to lose some weight it seems counter productive?!
It does seem that way but it really isn't. Because the fats make you feel full you don't get hungry so eat less. It really does work. The coffee with coconut oil is great.. one of those in the morning and I'm happy until dinner time.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It does seem that way but it really isn't. Because the fats make you feel full you don't get hungry so eat less. It really does work. The coffee with coconut oil is great.. one of those in the morning and I'm happy until dinner time.

Thank you

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
74b84854eea2847f0ac2382a08f1ad26.jpg

No porridge this morning guys, but I made this to eat as a combination of breakfast and lunch, looks better than porridge too thanks to everyone for their advice suggestions and support

Bevjones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am concerned about the high levels of fat consumption, I understand the theory, but as my cholesterol can be high I am concerned more fat will increase it. I have increased my nut consumption and use oil lowest in saturates, but cheese, pâté, etc , can feel my arteries clogging

K9ddo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's not easy finding the right balance I was part of a reasearch program at Dundee university in Scotland .it was helpfull as everyone is different when my bg gets to 6.0 I start to feel shaky the reason is my body has set it own alarm and starts to pump out glucose from the liver as a response so I find 4 meals a day keeps things in check I'm not meaning four big meals just eating 4 times in a day

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even tho 8.3 isn't overly high for me after food it now almost 3 hours since I eat and I'm feeling shaky and weak I don't know why ??? Before diagnosis I corrected this feeling by eating but can't do that any more any ideas ???

I find that this happens to be when I have a slightly higher carb meal...then if I take a reading 3-4 hours after the meal, glucose level can plunge to < 5.0mmol and that seems to trigger the shakiness for me. Perhaps our brain is used to high glucose levels and sends these panic signals to refuel...

But as I have shared in other threads...a couple spoons of coconut oil seems to help keep my brain happy. Then there is no panic eating...

This diagram makes sense to me...although it was used to explain Alzheimer...I believe I already have early onset of brain insulin resistance...occasional brain fog, intense hunger etc..

fnmol-09-00053-g004.jpg