Struggling with Morning levels

beechgrove2

Hi all

I have been Type 1 now for 11 years.

Was at my 6 month appointment last week and was quite surprised that my overall readings were 7.8. I hadnt really been keeping a good check on what Id been eating and been guessing really what doses of insulin were needed. I inject 4 times daily - novorapid and lantus.

After my appointment last week I thought I need to get back on track. I explained to my consultant that I was really struggling with control as I was eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Hence having gained 1 stone from March :(

My daily levels arent too bad. The past 2 nights before bedtime my bloods were 8.3 and 7.2. But morning readings were 11.1 and 16.6 this morning. Last night with the reading of 7.2, I ate a belvita biscuit (8.5g of carbs) so expected not to have a high reading this morning. Am really disappointed with my readings as I have not eaten anything I shouldnt or anything sugary.

Can anyone advise where I might be going wrong. I use 22 units of Lantus each day. Perhaps I need to increase this.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi there,

If you are taking your lantus at breakfast and if you can see a regular pattern with your morning highs and this is taken upon waking, then it would suggest that your Lantus is wearing off as it doesnt last 24 hours. I would contact your DSN before taking any action, but splitting your doses between morning and evening would help. You may also need to increase as you've gained weight, so really it's a good idea to record your readings and you should start to see pattern with this.

Hope this helps.

:thumbup:

beechgrove2

Hi Juicyj

Thanks for your reply.

I take my Lantus at 9pm each day so I doubt that it would be running out that quick. I have increased it from
22 units up to 26 units last night, so I will see how that goes.

Have been recording my readings again since last Monday and they are all over the place. But I wont let it beat me :twisted:

Again thanks :thumbup: