Struggling

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello nice people in my phone,

Does anyone ever get really low with all of this? I’m having one of those days where I’m desperately struggling with it all.

Life is a bit stressful at the moment, hubby has just had a cancer scare, thankfully he is going to fine we think.

Work is such a challenge too…

I don’t know if it’s the dark nights, or the start of a new term, or Halloween sweets all over the house, or the thought of coping with Christmas and all that entails food wise, but today it’s taken everything I have in my tank to just not lose the plot.

My sugars are fine, I have eaten enough, just feeling blue and this would be when I normally turn to food. I’m in a place where if I start then I won’t stop.

I don’t know what I even want you to say, I just need to write it down and acknowledge how I am feeling.

Thank you for listening, if you got this far!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh , @Cragwood.
I am not really all that nice very often, but sending virtual hugs, as I used up the rating emoji thing to give you a ‘winner cup’. Sometimes life‘s trials can be a bit much. I am impressed, though that you wrote about it here, instead of turning to food. Can you reward yourself with a non-food treat?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, friendly but slightly overwhelmed and blue lady in my computer,

Am I right in thinking you can use a nice virtual hug rather than advice?
Have a real big bear hug all the way from the Netherlands from me!

1698792339237.png

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh , @Cragwood.
I am not really all that nice very often, but sending virtual hugs, as I used up the rating emoji thing to give you a ‘winner cup’. Sometimes life‘s trials can be a bit much. I am impressed, though that you wrote about it here, instead of turning to food. Can you reward yourself with a non-food treat?

That’s a good idea, I will have a good think about a non food reward rather than going back to bad habits. Thank you.

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, friendly but slightly overwhelmed and blue lady in my computer,

Am I right in thinking you can use a nice virtual hug rather than advice?
Have a real big bear hug all the way from the Netherlands from me!

View attachment 64027

Thank you, you’ve made me smile and brought a tear to my eye all at the same time. A virtual hug was just what I needed.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel your pain, even after 14 years I still struggle from time to time, in the past I had big food issues and sometimes it scares me that I’m only 1 bite, 1upset, 1 stressful time away from a trigger. I can honestly say sometimes I have to take a day minute by minute to get through the trigger. I’ve cried in the isles of supermarkets, broke down in restaurant toilets - but I still manage to find the strength somehow and you will too :)

Be proud of yourself that you got through today and posted here, sometimes it helps just say it out loud to write it down, you owned today, you made it :)

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Does anyone ever get really low with all of this? I’m having one of those days where I’m desperately struggling with it all.

Life is a bit stressful at the moment, hubby has just had a cancer scare, thankfully he is going to fine we think.

I don’t know if it’s the dark nights, or the start of a new term, or Halloween sweets all over the house, or the thought of coping with Christmas and all that entails food wise, but today it’s taken everything I have in my tank to just not lose the plot.

My sugars are fine, I have eaten enough, just feeling blue and this would be when I normally turn to food. I’m in a place where if I start then I won’t stop.

I don’t know what I even want you to say, I just need to write it down and acknowledge how I am feeling.

All I can say is that I've only been at this diabetes lark for 3 months and I had a day like that yesterday. I won't offer advice (because I can't, I was just a grumpy, unsociable git that refused to acknowledge I was struggling), or a pep talk (because what do I know?! :)), but I will just say it's normal and completely acceptable to struggle. We all do, whether it's been 3 months or 3 decades, or anything in-between. Acknowledging it is good, talking about it is even better, and it takes real courage to do what you've done here!

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like that you took the time to write down your feelings. I've had a really rough week but even when I don't have rough weeks I sometimes feel as though it's all too much. Before the previous week my BSL had been 98% of the time between 4 and 10 and even though this is all kind of routine for me now I get frustrated -- even when things are going well!

I don't have type 2 diabetes so I'm not too worried about Christmas eating, it'll just be "normal" for me (lucky I guess). I eat low-carb even though I don't specifically have to and I don't think Christmas will be too much of an issue (but the chocolates will be a temptation!) I guess in that way I'm lucky. Being type 2 will Christmas be a struggle for you diet wise?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, you’ve made me smile and brought a tear to my eye all at the same time. A virtual hug was just what I needed.
You're welcome, and please post again when you're a bit down next time.
Virtual hugs are in no short supply on the forum when needed. ;)
Now you're feeling a bit better with all those understanding replies, maybe you'd like this thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...echanisms-swaps-recipes-anything-goes.198916/
It's very lighthearted and yet informative on how different people deal with all the challenges surrounding christmas, and it might give you some ideas as well. :)

plantae

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just for fun I just checked my Cronometer logs to see what I ate last Christmas. I know you're type 2 and your mileage may vary compared to me but this is a summary of what I had and I don't recall feeling deprived in any way (pretty low carb as well)

Breakfast: skipped
Mid-morning: (9:30) Brie cheese, blue cheese, celery, carrot, 4 jatz crisps (not low carb but I only had 4)
Lunch: Ham, chicken, beef, ceasar salad, feta cheese. I remember others having Christmas pudding because it's traditional in my family but I didn't have that (never have). One glass champagne
Afternoon tea: more cheeses and 4 more crackers
Dinner: omelette with ham, eggs, cheddar cheese, onion, garlic, cream. With dinner I had one "low carb beer" (haha, low carb, sure, although it says only 4.8g so that's ok)
Supper: more cheese!

Looking at it it's probably a typical Christmas for me just with way less beer. I'll probably have the same or similar this year, I don't really have a sweet tooth. I don't know if all those things are suitable for a type 2 diet but it was a low carb day if that's applicable. The only "naughty" things I seem to have had was the champagne and beer, but hey it's Christmas I'm not going to stress over that :) Boxing day was similar (in my family we meet one side of the family Christmas Day and the other Boxing Day).

Reactions: Gargoyletaz

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi- yes I absolutely know how it feels! I've been having some unrelated issues in my life and the temptation to turn to food is absolutely there.

I second @Pipp 's suggestion of a non food treat. While I know she suggested a bath for me the permission to but a book (whether electronic or in hardcopy) is definitely a treat particularly if it's not on sale :)

Other thoughts are to go and see a movie- (I can't remember the last time I did that) or to allow yourself some 'me time' doing a hobby.

As is often the case sometimes the advice is easier to give than to follow.

I think acknowledging how you are feeling is very powerful.

Good luck :)

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel your pain, even after 14 years I still struggle from time to time, in the past I had big food issues and sometimes it scares me that I’m only 1 bite, 1upset, 1 stressful time away from a trigger. I can honestly say sometimes I have to take a day minute by minute to get through the trigger. I’ve cried in the isles of supermarkets, broke down in restaurant toilets - but I still manage to find the strength somehow and you will too :)

Be proud of yourself that you got through today and posted here, sometimes it helps just say it out loud to write it down, you owned today, you made it :)

That’s exactly how I felt, 1 bite, 1 upset, 1 stress away from a trigger and a slide into chaos.

It helped posting on here. I will keep telling myself today that I made it through yesterday and I am going to make it through today.

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
All I can say is that I've only been at this diabetes lark for 3 months and I had a day like that yesterday. I won't offer advice (because I can't, I was just a grumpy, unsociable git that refused to acknowledge I was struggling), or a pep talk (because what do I know?! :)), but I will just say it's normal and completely acceptable to struggle. We all do, whether it's been 3 months or 3 decades, or anything in-between. Acknowledging it is good, talking about it is even better, and it takes real courage to do what you've done here!

Thank you, it really helps that others feel the same way and that I am not on my own.

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I like that you took the time to write down your feelings. I've had a really rough week but even when I don't have rough weeks I sometimes feel as though it's all too much. Before the previous week my BSL had been 98% of the time between 4 and 10 and even though this is all kind of routine for me now I get frustrated -- even when things are going well!

I don't have type 2 diabetes so I'm not too worried about Christmas eating, it'll just be "normal" for me (lucky I guess). I eat low-carb even though I don't specifically have to and I don't think Christmas will be too much of an issue (but the chocolates will be a temptation!) I guess in that way I'm lucky. Being type 2 will Christmas be a struggle for you diet wise?

Hi, I am low carbing because it’s the only way I can keep my sugars in range. I take insulin, but I am so insulin resistant that if I eat starchy carbs then it doesn’t matter how much insulin I take, I can’t get my levels down. So, I know it works, I am just having a moment where I just don’t want it to be a thing any longer and the thought of Christmas is making me feel even sorrier for myself.

I’ll be fine. Today is another day, big girl pants on!

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
You're welcome, and please post again when you're a bit down next time.
Virtual hugs are in no short supply on the forum when needed. ;)

Now you're feeling a bit better with all those understanding replies, maybe you'd like this thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...echanisms-swaps-recipes-anything-goes.198916/
It's very lighthearted and yet informative on how different people deal with all the challenges surrounding christmas, and it might give you some ideas as well. :)

I will have a read of that, thank you for signposting

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just for fun I just checked my Cronometer logs to see what I ate last Christmas. I know you're type 2 and your mileage may vary compared to me but this is a summary of what I had and I don't recall feeling deprived in any way (pretty low carb as well)

Breakfast: skipped
Mid-morning: (9:30) Brie cheese, blue cheese, celery, carrot, 4 jatz crisps (not low carb but I only had 4)
Lunch: Ham, chicken, beef, ceasar salad, feta cheese. I remember others having Christmas pudding because it's traditional in my family but I didn't have that (never have). One glass champagne
Afternoon tea: more cheeses and 4 more crackers
Dinner: omelette with ham, eggs, cheddar cheese, onion, garlic, cream. With dinner I had one "low carb beer" (haha, low carb, sure, although it says only 4.8g so that's ok)
Supper: more cheese!

Looking at it it's probably a typical Christmas for me just with way less beer. I'll probably have the same or similar this year, I don't really have a sweet tooth. I don't know if all those things are suitable for a type 2 diet but it was a low carb day if that's applicable. The only "naughty" things I seem to have had was the champagne and beer, but hey it's Christmas I'm not going to stress over that :) Boxing day was similar (in my family we meet one side of the family Christmas Day and the other Boxing Day).

Ooh cheese! There are good things about low carbing after all.

I will have a good think before the big day and make sure there are plenty of things in that I do like to eat and won’t send my sugars silly. I’m not a big drinker so I’m happy to be the designated driver, as we’re at my daughter’s this year. I will offer to bring the cheese and cheese board, I think.

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi- yes I absolutely know how it feels! I've been having some unrelated issues in my life and the temptation to turn to food is absolutely there.

I second @Pipp 's suggestion of a non food treat. While I know she suggested a bath for me the permission to but a book (whether electronic or in hardcopy) is definitely a treat particularly if it's not on sale :)

Other thoughts are to go and see a movie- (I can't remember the last time I did that) or to allow yourself some 'me time' doing a hobby.

As is often the case sometimes the advice is easier to give than to follow.

I think acknowledging how you are feeling is very powerful.

Good luck :)

Thank you. I love books, so that’s a great suggestion.

I might even treat myself to a non food advent calendar, so there’s a little treat every day leading up to Christmas.

It’s really helped just writing it down and getting all these replies, so thank you to everyone who took the time to help.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will have a read of that, thank you for signposting
When I started that thread, I thought it might get a few short replies with some tips and tricks. Christmas is a big thing in my family, so following diagnosis, I was really concerned I'd drag everyone down. What that thread has ended up being is the most beautiful collection of personal accounts from people here on what Christmas is for them, how they make the most of it, and how to not let diabetes drag us down. It really helped me and I read through it again recently to remind myself it'll be ok. Hope it can help you too.

Ooh cheese! There are good things about low carbing after all.

I will have a good think before the big day and make sure there are plenty of things in that I do like to eat and won’t send my sugars silly. I’m not a big drinker so I’m happy to be the designated driver, as we’re at my daughter’s this year. I will offer to bring the cheese and cheese board, I think.
My biggest food "weaknesses" have always been cheese and chocolate. On the million diets I've tried in the past to lose weight, both were banned substances.

On low carb, cheese isn't a problem. It's like Christmas every day! My wife even (half) joked the other day, "So, you - a cheese addict - has finally managed to find a diet that actively promotes eating cheese. Are you sure you actually have diabetes, or is this just an elaborate scheme to live the cheese addict's dream?! Seriously though, are we going to need to buy an extra fridge exclusively for cheese at Christmas this year?"

I simply thanked her for the amazing idea of an extra fridge just for cheese. :)