Stubborn elevated blood sugar

tulip87

Last 48 hours or so my blood sugars have been really weird. Always 11-13mmol, regardless of time, whether I've just eaten, when I've taken my meds. I know this isn't an acutely dangerous level, but it's still not numbers I'm happy to be consistently seeing.

To my knowledge I'm not ill or coming down with anything, or stressed. Does anyone have any thoughts what it could be and at what point I need to sort it out/and if so how?! (GP no help, could email consultant but only want to do that if serious).

Thank you

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Tulip,

Sounds to me like your monitor isn't working. See if you can try a different monitor. If you have a Lloyds pharmacy nearby they will do a simple blood monitor test on request - then test immediately after with your own monitor and see what the difference is.

Incidentally 11-13mmol is around double what it should be and is highly dangerous! The level at which diabetic complications generally start (neuropathy and retinopathy) is BS levels that are continuously above 7.5mmol.

Spiral

Your monitor needs checking.

Contact the customer services department of company that manufactured the monitor you have. They will usually replace it for free and keep you supplied with all the gubbins you need to keep it functioning properly - including batteries and test solutions.

I have a Roche Accu-chek Aviva and they have been plying me with new batteries and test solutions by first class post! The meter was also a freebie - the make the money on the test strips and lancets!

tulip87

Wow, thank you both for the so swift replies.

I'm actually getting the same range with both my meters...although they are both one touch so whether they might therefore both go wrong at once?

I'll be on the look out for a Lloyds chemist to double check it...