Student Nurse with Diabetes Type 2

Vince_hacks

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, this is the first time I have ever posted on this forum, I usually just read other peoples top tips and advice, but sadly I am about to go into placement as a student nurse and with all the news and info from PHE about staying away from potential sources of infections. I am currently sat in my room at uni worried and overwhelmed by the thought of what could happen. I suppose I am just using this forum to vent and get my worries off my chest, but if I don’t I’m going to explode.

Anyway thanks for listening and sorry if I've wasted anyone’s time

Vince

Reactions: porl69

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi and welcome - is your placement still going ahead? My uni have pulled all the healthcare students from placement this week (I’m a trainee paramedic), and I understand that was nationwide? We’ve all been put on study leave, until Easter in the first instance. Although we’ve just been asked if we’d be willing to work for the trust as call handlers and drivers.

Reactions: porl69

Vince_hacks

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya- Yeah ours is still going ahead. I’m a year 3 adult nurse and we’re also being offered the chance to be registered early. I think all of the nursing students at my uni are gonna be on placement fairly soon, some of the first years have already started.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well, fwiw, it’s what we signed up for when we chose to become HCPs - that’s just my opinion though. Sick people are our trade :) As long as we have the correct PPE, we shouldn’t be at any greater risk than anyone else, but I do understand your fears. Is your diabetes under pretty good control?

Vince_hacks

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah its alright, it never really fluctuates, you just see all this information and it gets to you, I suppose I’m just going through a phase at the moment. I feel I am morally obliged to go and do my job. Thanks for listening its genuinely really appreciated

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
How’s your course going?
It’s great, and I love it. I’m only in my first year and we got pulled from placement this week. We’re in for a bumpy ride, that’s for sure. Especially as shiny new, inexperienced practitioners! Always here if you need to vent :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77

Vince_hacks

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It’s great, and I love it. I’m only in my first year and we got pulled from placement this week. However, they’ve asked us today if we’ll consider working as drivers and call handlers while we deal with this virus. We’re in for a bumpy ride, that’s for sure. Especially as shiny new, inexperienced practitioners! Always here if you need to vent :)

That’s good to hear your loving the course, the call Center or driving would be great experience, as you said its gonna be a bumpy ride that will last a little while sadly

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Antje77 there is no time wasted.

First of all I would like to thank you for being willing to go into nursing- it is a tough gig at the best of times. I think at the moment it is even tougher. Everyone is worried and unsure of what will happen- you should use every opportunity to get support and to vent. Caregivers need to make sure they receive enough support otherwise they cannot do their jobs.

Keep reading and posting, make sure you take time to rest and relax and be assured that you will make a world of difference to those patients you help.

Vince_hacks

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @Antje77 there is no time wasted.

First of all I would like to thank you for being willing to go into nursing- it is a tough gig at the best of times. I think at the moment it is even tougher. Everyone is worried and unsure of what will happen- you should use every opportunity to get support and to vent. Caregivers need to make sure they receive enough support otherwise they cannot do their jobs.

Keep reading and posting, make sure you take time to rest and relax and be assured that you will make a world of difference to those patients you help.
Thank you for your kind words they are truly appreciated, I will definitely keep reading peoples threads and hopefully I will be able to keep posting, time permitting. Thanks again it is really appreciated

Reactions: Antje77
Hi everyone, this is the first time I have ever posted on this forum, I usually just read other peoples top tips and advice, but sadly I am about to go into placement as a student nurse and with all the news and info from PHE about staying away from potential sources of infections. I am currently sat in my room at uni worried and overwhelmed by the thought of what could happen. I suppose I am just using this forum to vent and get my worries off my chest, but if I don’t I’m going to explode.

Anyway thanks for listening and sorry if I've wasted anyone’s time

Vince

Nice to hear from u and I know it’s easier said than done but try not to worry, type 1 diabetic for 30 years x