Study comparing Type2 “educational class” with low fat and low carb.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
(Interestingly both groups did better then what I believe the normal NHS outcome is. But both groups did worse what we see on this forum, however, we have “self-selection” on our side.)

LCK = low carb, MCCR=low fat

Diabetes medications

Participants in the LCK group reduced their use of some diabetes-related medications more than participants in the MCCR group. Of ten participants who reported taking sulfonylureas or dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors before the intervention, all six participants assigned to the LCK group discontinued these medications by 12 months post-baseline (at the request of the study physicians, based on the study protocol), compared with none of the four participants in the MCCR group (p = .005, Fischer’s exact test). Two participants in the MCCR group began taking these medications, whereas no participants in the LCK group did so. Of 22 participants who reported taking metformin before the intervention, 3/10 in the in the LCK group discontinued the medication, compared with 0/12 in the MCCR group (p = .08, Fisher’s exact test). In addition, in the LCK group 1 person increased their dose of metformin and in the MCCR group 2 people decreased their metformin, with none of these changes being significantly different between groups (p > .3).
see https://www.nature.com/articles/s41387-017-0006-9

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(Interestingly both groups did better then what I believe the normal NHS outcome is. But both groups did worse what we see on this forum, however, we have “self-selection” on our side.)

LCK = low carb, MCCR=low fat

Diabetes medications

Participants in the LCK group reduced their use of some diabetes-related medications more than participants in the MCCR group. Of ten participants who reported taking sulfonylureas or dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors before the intervention, all six participants assigned to the LCK group discontinued these medications by 12 months post-baseline (at the request of the study physicians, based on the study protocol), compared with none of the four participants in the MCCR group (p = .005, Fischer’s exact test). Two participants in the MCCR group began taking these medications, whereas no participants in the LCK group did so. Of 22 participants who reported taking metformin before the intervention, 3/10 in the in the LCK group discontinued the medication, compared with 0/12 in the MCCR group (p = .08, Fisher’s exact test). In addition, in the LCK group 1 person increased their dose of metformin and in the MCCR group 2 people decreased their metformin, with none of these changes being significantly different between groups (p > .3).
see https://www.nature.com/articles/s41387-017-0006-9
I see the name Phinney is a co author, who is well known in the LC arena, and Voleck is also referenced, This gives the study some weight, but also by same token may introduce some bias. I get the impression that they had an expected answer then looked to prove it, so treat with caution. They are not truly independant researchers.

The study seems to be fairly robust, and the analysis appears to be valid but I have not done any deep analysis. I am usually wary of Nature articles as a whole, and I am surprised to see this study reported in it.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I like this study as it gives us some idea what would be the outcome we if took the standard NHS type “education classes”, rewrote them to use low carb, and had them presented by people who believed in low carb.

But the study is too small for my liking, and I want to know what happens in the 2 or 3 years after the end of the classes.

I don't know if XpertHealth tracks the outcome of their classes based on who presents them.....

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like this study as it gives us some idea what would be the outcome we if took the standard NHS type “education classes”, rewrote them to use low carb, and had them presented by people who believed in low carb.

But the study is too small for my liking, and I want to know what happens in the 2 or 3 years after the end of the classes.

I don't know if XpertHealth tracks the outcome of their classes based on who presents them.....
The recent study by Dr Unwin at his Southport practice shows it can be done within the NHS guidelines, but needs proper leadership to make it work. So far there is no turnkey solution and hopefully it will be a starter for ongoing education courses.

Last edited:

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @ringi
Interesting so there are studies out there comparing both diets and this one has results for 12 months.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Shame that Dr Unwin is in Southport, not Stockport, otherwise I could register with him.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you @ringi
Interesting so there are studies out there comparing both diets and this one has results for 12 months.

There are a lot of studies but most them are short and are done in a way that can't be repeated on a large scale. Low carb nearly always comes out at least as well as low fat, often a lot better, and losing weight fast seems to result in people keeping the weight off better than "slow and study".

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Shame that Dr Unwin is in Southport, not Stockport, otherwise I could register with him.

Nah, he needs to be this side of the Pennines!

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hello to a fellow Stockport resident. I'd be in the queue to register at Dr Unwin's practice too if he had a practice here