1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Stupid question but....any advice on magnets and pumps?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by London36_, Oct 6, 2018.

1. London36_

London36_ Type 1 · Well-Known Member

At work today there were new, fancy, magnetic name badges. It said on the packet that if you wear a pacemaker you shouldn’t wear it. Said ‘strong magnet’ on back of badge.

I’m sure it’s all totally fine and this is a silly, embarrassing question as not huge magnetic fields - but can you wear your pump with them? I’d hate to mess my pump up and felt a bit paranoid about the pump in my bra strap and the badge on my suit jacket.

Weirdly, on same day I saw a school physics experiment, no idea what it was as I saw sign and moved back because sign said something like ‘strong magnetic field warning for pacemaker wearers!’

Don’t want to call Medtronic as I’ve called them before about my in-laws induction oven. They said to avoid the oven, couldn’t be specific on whether this meant the entire house when oven was on or just the kitchen and told me to call the manufacturer of the oven??!? Like they would know?!

2. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can you download the manual for the pump and look for safety advice?

• Like Like x 1
  3. London36_

Thanks, didn’t think of that just downloaded. Searching now but not seeing anything yet

4. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

If the question relates to diabetes I would suggest there are no "stupid questions". It is really best to know that wonder.
    Sorry I can't help with your question but I would be surprised if magnets would interfere with your pumps... just to be sure, pin the badge well away from the moving parts of your pump.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Interesting. I often joked with a pumping (Omnipod) bass player I was in a band with about electro magnetic fields caused by the gear. & my radio mic interfering with the PDM? (Totally different frequency.)
    However, his bass rigg? There were some large magnets driving those cones... He used to pretty much stand on top of it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chowie

Chowie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Some pace makers are adjusted by magnets, normally name badges are worn on the chest area and if on the left side could be right near where the pacemaker is implanted. Magnetic strength decreases very quickly over distance, I wouldn't be concerned.

• Like Like x 1
  8. London36_

Couldn’t find anything. Did see something about keeping your ‘cell phone’ 12 inches away which I never knew or never have

9. ronialive

ronialive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think this would be because some pumps connect by Bluetooth to the meter and self adjust according to the result so the phone could accidentally adjust the pump. there Was a case in the news some time back about a pump being able to be hacked by a phone

10. Chowie

Chowie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Bluetooth uses a crude encryption, so without pairing a phone to the pump the probability of the phone making the pump do something is exceptionally remote - hacking, that is something totally different see what goes on at a hacking convention https://www.businessinsider.com/def-con-hacker-convention-2016-7/?r=AU&IR=T/#next-week-starts-with-black-hat-usa-a-six-day-event-geared-toward-information-security-professionals-that-features-training-talks-and-plenty-of-vendors-onsite-1

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook