Stupid readings

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
Hi,

Ok, i have been doing really well the past few days, getting up in the morning around 8.0mmol which is wonderful when i used to be getting up at 16.0mmol approx.

But i'm confused. Until i get myself sorted out and my Medication right i'm been seriously restriting what i eat. Has to be said, working pretty well. although lunch today, salad and a piece iof weighwatchers brown bread shot my up to 16.0mmol again!! Yesterday the exact same meal sent me to 7.9mmol? my before meal reading were 7.6 and 7.8 so it's not anything else i have eaten!

I was going to try and have a day when i got all under 10! and now that ruined and i can't figure out why.

I'm on Novorapid 14 units with each meal and Lantus 14units overnight. another question is should i query about raising my lantus in order to get my morning readings under 8??
Also i've been reading on here about carb counting, do i ask the nurses about doing that? or can i do it myself? sorry i jsut don't want to mess with what they have given me seeing as it appears to be working (Dam Salad!)
*EDIT*
Now i've jjust spoken to the nurse, a(not my usual lovely one) and asked about raising my Lantus, and she just said, "oh if you want" and i said well does that mean i have to change my novo Doses "maybe, if you want to that is" I've been using insulin for maybe two weeks now, i honestly don't feel ready to be pushed out there on my own, deciding my own readings and units. I don't have a clue what i'm doing! I know know how much is too much, i don;t know what i'm doing and she jsut said "well its up to you really, so you raise and check your doses as you feel, oh but do keep in touch with us about how your getting on" i don't even know what type of Diabetes i have yet! how can tis happen?

I want my old urse back, she was lovely and helped me loads. i don't know when she is coming back.

DiabeticGeek

manxangel said:
Has to be said, working pretty well. although lunch today, salad and a piece iof weighwatchers brown bread shot my up to 16.0mmol again!! Yesterday the exact same meal sent me to 7.9mmol? my before meal reading were 7.6 and 7.8 so it's not anything else i have eaten!
I wouldn't worry too much about occasional glitches. Biological systems like people are really complicated, and so a huge number of different factors can be involved. Insulin is not the only hormone that has an effect upon blood sugar, it is just the most important by far. Also different hormones interact - this means that factors such as stress, infections, the menstrual cycle can all have an effect. It is also possible that this was caused by a problem with one of your insulin injections. Sometimes needles are faulty - maybe you didn't get the dose that you thought you did. It is also possible that this is a spurious result - it is easy to contaminate your hands which could give a widely inaccurate reading. I once got a figure like this for no good reason, I scrubbed my hands thoroughly and tested again immediately and it came out at about 6. Even if it is real, what matters is the overall trend, rather than a one-off spike. Look for patterns in the trend - and it sounds as though yours are all in the right direction.

manxangel said:
I want my old urse back, she was lovely and helped me loads. i don't know when she is coming back.
I am afraid that Diabetes Nurses are a wildly variable quantity. The training that they get is very basic and quite limited even by the standards of 20 years ago (I have looked at some of the textbooks they use). However, many of them have a wealth of practical experience, and have acquired a level of knowledge that would put most doctors to shame. In short, if you find a good one then stick to her like glue!

Reactions: Robbity and Outlier

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am afraid that Diabetes Nurses are a wildly variable quantity. The training that they get is very basic and quite limited even by the standards of 20 years ago (I have looked at some of the textbooks they use). However, many of them have a wealth of practical experience, and have acquired a level of knowledge that would put most doctors to shame. In short, if you find a good one then stick to her like glue!
Easier said than done when they happen to retire and their sucessor is a blooming twit brain....:banghead:

• Funny
Reactions: Lainie71