Stupid Supplements

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
So I take a truck load of supplements for my chronic fatigue syndrome and then put on my libre - which I do every 6-8 weeks or so only to find that my bs had rocketed despite my low carb eating. I mean really rocketed, between 11 and 15. Couldn't figure it out until I thought of all the supplements my chronic fatigue syndrome doctor had recommended. So I cut them all out and as of today my average bs is 8.0, and I'm sure will continue to reduce.
I discovered the vitamin c tablets had maize starch in them and I am on large doses. But i think some of the others have added carbs of one sort or another - will reintroduce them one by one to see which is the offender.
On another note, was diagnosed with glaucoma in one eye yesterday. At least I'm controlling insulin levels which Dr mercola says is important

M

Moggely

Hi @Angelofthemarches. I don't know how i missed your tread as i wrote one similar to it a couple of weeks ago. I was talking vitiman D3 with K2 for ages now and all ok then i decided to throw a B complex into the mix as i am doing low carb and maybe might be missing some thing. After the B complex my reading for the first time since diagnose was a 10 to say i was shocked was an understatement. One poster suggested i check the ingredients . I only buy from the health store so i did check and all was above board but i cut it out and had normal readings again. But looking at your thread i have decided to cut the lot of them and today have been getting lower readings. So interesting. I may introduce them after awhile but just wanted to see were it takes me. You have already eliminated them which i think was a good idea. Like to know how you go when you do start taking them again. Good luck.

Reactions: Prem51

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
Very few supplements have any brain at all. Even fewer have enough of a brain that they aren't stupid.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it pays to take a break and have a "wash out" period for supplements every so often - you might be taking stuff without any benefit and in some cases, even harm. I'm day 3 into a washout at present. Will keep going for at least 21 days and see how I feel.

I'll probably always bring back Vitamin D3 periodically because of previous deficiency, so that will mean adding K2 as well - plus I tend to throw in a Vitamin A (retinol form) every week or so. But I do tend to go a little crazy at times with adding this, that or the other thing and spending a fortune for possibly little benefit. So, time to reign it in :)

M

Moggely

Agree with you @lndy51 I'v recently stopped VitD3 and K2, but probably will go back on them, i just wanted to see if it helped in anyway. Very little sun in winter here hence the Vit D3 and I saw a post when lurking in here about taking K2 with it. Interesting to see what people are taking and even better if it helps.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Ther are many forms of vitamin C with nary a carb? What were some of the other supplements?
Under advice of a chronic fatigue doctor:
Acetyl l carnitine
Ubiquinol
Glutathione
Multi vitamin
Multi mineral
Digestive enzymes
Extra manganese
Slow release b3
B12 injections
Thyroid and adrenal hormones

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Under advice of a chronic fatigue doctor:
Acetyl l carnitine
Ubiquinol
Glutathione
Multi vitamin
Multi mineral
Digestive enzymes
Extra manganese
Slow release b3
B12 injections
Thyroid and adrenal hormones
Oh and small amount of d ribose

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
All of these are under the instructions of my chronic fatigue doctor who is not only a practising gp but who has also published several articles in the field of cfs research.
Will check the vit d levels - one of the first things the nhs tested for. A lot of it is to deal with the apparent mitochondria problem I had.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I had my energy production measured at cell level via blood tests and I came out as 21% of the bottom of normal in terms of energy production.
The d ribose, magnesium, Acetyl l carnitine and ubiquinol are all specifically energy related.

M

Moggely

The nary a carb one is ascorbic acid vit C. 100% Pure Ascorbic Acid, easy to use powder. Prevention/ treatment of vitamin C deficiency and also relief of symptoms of mild upper respiratory infections. GMO Free. All pure. No added ingredients.:)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Angelofthemarches I was interested to read your comment about lowering blood sugar levels can help glaucoma. I have glaucoma which was diagnosed some months before my diabetes. As I have lowered my blood sugar my levels of pressure in my eyes have reduced so that now my eyes are only being monitored every 18 months when for the first two years it was every 3 months. I didn’t realise that there was a recognised link between the two. Thank you

Last edited:

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
The nary a carb one is ascorbic acid vit C. 100% Pure Ascorbic Acid, easy to use powder. Prevention/ treatment of vitamin C deficiency and also relief of symptoms of mild upper respiratory infections. GMO Free. All pure. No added ingredients.:)
Yes I was using ascorbic acid, in large doses recommended by my doctor. It was harming my teeth a bit so thought of tablets. But now I think I'll drink it last thing at night and brush my teeth after!!

Dark Horse

Yes I was using ascorbic acid, in large doses recommended by my doctor. It was harming my teeth a bit so thought of tablets. But now I think I'll drink it last thing at night and brush my teeth after!!
The worst thing to do after having an acidic drink is to brush your teeth as the enamel is vulnerable at that time and you will end up with acid erosion. Better to wash your mouth out with water afterwards to dilute the acid and take the drink well before bedtime so your normal saliva can help neutralise the acidity (saliva production may be reduced when sleeping).
https://www.dentalhealth.org/diet-and-my-teeth

Reactions: Pinkorchid

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
The worst thing to do after having an acidic drink is to brush your teeth as the enamel is vulnerable at that time and you will end up with acid erosion. Better to wash your mouth out with water afterwards to dilute the acid and take the drink well before bedtime so your normal saliva can help neutralise the acidity (saliva production may be reduced when sleeping).
https://www.dentalhealth.org/diet-and-my-teeth
Thankyou!!!!!

Reactions: Dark Horse

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
@Angelofthemarches I was interested to read your comment about lowering blood sugar levels can help glaucoma. I have glaucoma which was diagnosed some months before my diabetes. As I have lowered my blood sugar my levels of pressure in my eyes have reduced so that now my eyes are only being monitored every 18 months when for the first two years it was every 3 months. I didn’t realise that there was a recognised link between the two. Thank you
Oh wow!!! Then we have helped each other, since hopefully I can get the hba1c down further (stuck at 48 as of today )