Sub-dermal Scar Tissue

Katieemmahope

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese, mushrooms, early mornings
I have had Type One Diabetes for nine years now, and 9/10 of my NovoRapid injections are injected in my lower belly. I try to alternate sides, but as a right handed person, most are injected in to the right side of my belly button. I don't change my needles all that often. I do my night injections, of SoloStar, on the inside of my thigh which has faced the same problem as my belly.

Because of all this, I have developed sub-dermal scar tissue that is quite obvious when I am wearing tight tops or low trousers, as opposed to high waisted jeans, which hide the lumps.

I am now consciously trying to inject in the other sides, but does anyone know any ways to get rid of these hideous lumps?

Thank you.

Lisbet

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had mine removed from stomach and thighs via plastic surgery 25yrs ago but they came back! There's no other effective removal technique. SO hard to use one's bum - I find it hurts more and is v inconvenient if you are in a restaurant, on a train etc. Solution: use 'magic' undies and wear a sarong on the beach....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Katieemmahope

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cheese, mushrooms, early mornings
Seems too defeatist to say that that has to be it for now. I guess trying a new place may be best and seeing what happens to the lumps as they are. I'm 21, I don't want to have to wear sarongs yet!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Shouldn't make a difference where you inject in the stomach if your left or right handed. Try and keep away from the stomach for a while and use the backs of your arms instead, you could also use the legs for Novo and your bum for the Solostar.

Also try and break the bad habit of reusing needles as this leads to problems with injection sites, change the needle every-time and don't be tempted to reuse it, there's some horrible photos on the net which shows the damage to the tip of a needle once it has been used, when you see them you'll not want to do it again!!!

Reactions: 3 people

chubbz1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chickens, football, loud noises
I have this problem with my stomach, under my belly button. I haven't used that place in 9/10 years and even though my dr said it would go away it hasn't. When I first started giving my own injections that is where I used all the time and I didn't change my needles very often which was really sillyI would advise changing them EVERY time you need an injection. It doesn't hurt as much, causes less damage and they won't get blocked.

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Just a little bit of understanding on this condition.

What most people think is scar tissue is actually insulin lipohypertrophy, localized hypertrophy of subcutaneous fat at insulin injection sites, caused by the lipogenic effect of insulin.

What this means is: insulin is a highly anabolic hormone, it pulls nutrients into the cells in our cases and for the most part :glucose. Insulin will cause you to store fat.

When you inject in one spot the concentrated insulin will pull glucose into the surrounding cells and cause them to fill will fat over a short amount of time the cells will be saturated causing a slight lump or fatty area. Losing weight or simply leaving the site alone will cause the cells to return to normal but when you repeatedly inject in the same spot the nutrients have no-where to go as all the surrounding cells are already saturated, because of this new permanent fat cells are created. At this point the only way to get rid of the lump of permanent fat cells is to have them surgically removed.

Its similar to how someone can put on a small amount of fat and lose it easily by filling and emptying existing fat cells but when an exorbitant amount of fat is gained the body must create permanent cells to accommodate the extra weight. These cells can only be filled or emptied but never go away.

Reactions: 8 people

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
Reactions: 2 people

nourzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a little bit of understanding on this condition.

What most people think is scar tissue is actually insulin lipohypertrophy, localized hypertrophy of subcutaneous fat at insulin injection sites, caused by the lipogenic effect of insulin.

What this means is: insulin is a highly anabolic hormone, it pulls nutrients into the cells in our cases and for the most part :glucose. Insulin will cause you to store fat.

When you inject in one spot the concentrated insulin will pull glucose into the surrounding cells and cause them to fill will fat over a short amount of time the cells will be saturated causing a slight lump or fatty area. Losing weight or simply leaving the site alone will cause the cells to return to normal but when you repeatedly inject in the same spot the nutrients have no-where to go as all the surrounding cells are already saturated, because of this new permanent fat cells are created. At this point the only way to get rid of the lump of permanent fat cells is to have them surgically removed.

Its similar to how someone can put on a small amount of fat and lose it easily by filling and emptying existing fat cells but when an exorbitant amount of fat is gained the body must create permanent cells to accommodate the extra weight. These cells can only be filled or emptied but never go away.
how do i knowthat its not permenant already? and does applying massage or heat help in getting rid of it ?